Police Beat: Nov. 12

Hot dog spends evening in big house

University of Arizona Police Department officers were on patrol in the area of Vine Avenue and First Street on Nov. 1 at 12:46 a.m. when a man in a hot dog costume jumped out into the street and in front of their fully marked police cruiser. The man jumped from the sidewalk to the street, extended the middle finger on his left hand toward officers, and screamed, “”Fuck you.””

Officers exited the vehicle and made contact with the man. They asked him for identification and he replied that he did not have any on his person. Officers noticed the strong odor of intoxicants coming from the man’s mouth as he spoke. Police asked the man how old he was and he replied that he was 19. Police then asked the man for his name, which he gave as Michael Joseph Jackson. Police attempted several times to determine the man’s real name and age, but he continued to provide false information. Officers eventually determined who the man was and placed him under arrest. During a search of his person, officers discovered a fictitious California driver’s license.

They cited the man on charges of false reporting to a law enforcement officer, possession of a fake ID and minor in possession. He was additionally issued a civil citation for obstructing traffic. He was transported to Pima County Jail where he was booked.

Woman blames shoplifting on winter weather

UAPD officers responded to the UofA Bookstore on Nov. 2 at 2:29 p.m. in reference to a cooperative shoplifting suspect in custody.

On arrival, officers met with an employee of the bookstore. The employee told police that using video surveillance, he watched the woman in custody carry two items through the store. She then stepped close to a clothing rack, as if to conceal what she was doing, and place one of the items, a red and white UA beanie cap, into her purse. She then went to a register and paid for the item that she was still holding, but not the beanie cap in her purse. The woman then walked toward the school supplies section where she picked up a package containing a lead pencil. The woman then walked back toward the register area where she paid for the package containing the pencil, but again failed to pay for the beanie cap.

The woman then left the store, where she was contacted by bookstore employees and escorted into a conference room. According to police, the woman identified herself with a CatCard. She told officers that the weather was getting colder and she did not have a hat, so she decided to take one from the store because she was running out of money.

Police cited her on charges of shoplifting and released her on scene. The bookstore was issued a Victim’s Rights form and the incident has been referred to the Dean of Students office.

Man brings BB gun into library

UAPD officers were dispatched to the Main Library on Nov. 2 at 7:50 p.m. in reference to a man with a gun.

Upon arrival, officers met with a library employee who told them a man on the lower level of the library had a handgun in the right front pocket of his pants. The employee pointed the man out to police.

Officers approached the man and observed that he had a black handgun in a holster on his hip. According to police, the weapon was cocked and ready for use. Officers approached the man from behind and identified themselves as they removed the weapon from his holster. Police escorted the man out of the library and informed him that he was in violation of the university’s weapons policy.

Upon contact, the man became agitated. He called one officer a “”fucking asshole”” and claimed that he had a right to carry the weapon anywhere in the state of Arizona. Officers showed the man the signs posted at the entrance to the library, to which he replied, “”so what?””

A records check revealed that the man had been warned for trespassing on Oct. 23. It was then discovered that the weapon the man was carrying was a BB gun.

Police cited the man on charges of interfering with an educational institution. Due to the man’s pattern of disruptive behavior, he was issued an exclusionary order and warned against returning to campus. He was transported to Pima County Jail where he was booked.