Blog

Henry gives insight into pre-draft experience

Former UA running back Chris Henry likes Egg McMuffins but Japanese anime even more.

Such are the insights available in Henry’s ongoing blog on yardbarker.com as the April 28-29 NFL Draft approaches.

Henry aims to be a busy guy over the next few weeks. After putting up excellent numbers at the NFL Scouting Combine in February and Arizona’s pro day last month, Henry has fielded numerous calls from league coaches and visited potential new home cities like Cleveland.

Perhaps the most intriguing bit of knowledge Henry shares is that he’s on track to complete a philosophy degree in four years by taking a full load of classes this semester. This despite pre-draft buzz that he could be selected as high as the second round.

Knock Henry if you want for forfeiting a starting job with the possibly high-octane Wildcats this fall. It’s at least good to see that unlike many professional hopefuls roaming NCAA rosters these days, he’s taking full advantage of the student-athlete label.

– Tom Knauer

Baseball moves up four places in poll

The Arizona baseball team is hot right now. And recent polls reflect that fact.

The Wildcats (28-6, 6-0 Pacific 10 Conference) moved up to No. 13 in Baseball America’s most recent poll, four places from the No. 17 they were at last week. This comes after Arizona hadn’t been ranked by the poll all season.

It seems the publication known to some as baseball’s bible is starting to come around on Arizona, which has won 14 straight games, a streak that includes the Wildcats’ first ever 6-0 start in Pac-10 play.

Elsewhere, Arizona comes in at No. 15 in the Rivals.com poll, No. 12 in the USA Today/ESPN coaches’ poll and No. 8 in the Collegiate Baseball Newspaper rendition.

Any way you slice it, the nation is noticing this team.

Berger nears 100 percent, still out for ’07

Imagine what Arizona’s rotation would look like if Eric Berger was part of it. Berger was last season’s ace who started seven games in 2006 before injuring his throwing arm in early March.

As it is, the Wildcats’ hurlers – led by sophomore Preston Guilmet and senior Brad Mills – haven’t done too shabby for themselves. But Berger, who was 3-4 last year with a 4.42 ERA and also hit .278 with 10 RBIs in 12 games at designated hitter, is speeding right along on his recovery after having Tommy John surgery.

The team’s trainer said yesterday that Berger could be up to 100 percent in about a month, but UA head coach Andy Lopez said the plan is still to have him back in 2008.

“”Will he be pitching for us next year?”” he said before practice yesterday. “”Yes.””

– Ryan Casey