Arizona quarterbacks staying mentally fresh on the sideline

For the second time in five games, Arizona used three quarterbacks – Willie Tuitama, Matt Scott and Bryson Beirne – to earn themselves a win, this time in Saturday’s game against Washington.

Scott replaced Tuitama in the fourth quarter to get repetitions in game situations and Beirne took over late in the fourth after Scott went head-to-head with a Husky defender.

“”He’s a pretty big guy and I went head on with him,”” Scott said. “”That wasn’t the greatest idea. Not gonna win that (battle).””

But until the reserves get in, how do they stay mentally focused on the sideline?

“”For quarterbacks, (former UA quarterback) Kris Heavner taught me this, it’s always analyzing the defense,”” said Beirne, a redshirt freshman. “”I’m not worried about me going in. Throughout the game, me and Matt Scott, we’re not even worried about the offense. We’re looking at the defense to pick up tendencies. Then, when and if we get in, we’ll be better prepared.””

Scott, a true freshman, has seen action in four games and has racked up 125 yards rushing and 84 yards passing. Beirne has gotten into two games and has collected just four yards rushing in each, but the time on the field is invaluable, he said.

“”I think it’s very important,”” he said. “”When it’s my chance I want to make the best of my opportunity. (Saturday) it was just hold onto the ball and make sure the chains are going.””

For the majority of his freshman season, Tuitama was in a similar position on the sideline. He agreed that watching the defense and adjusting to it with audibles is the most important part of staying fresh.

“”It’s just staying in the game and getting in as many mental reps as you can,”” Tuitama said.

To the fact that either Scott or Beirne will be the starting quarterback next season, Tuitama said he certainly knows his role as a mentor and big brother.

“”I’m trying to help them out so that when it is their time and they get in there, they don’t get nervous and just run the offense,”” Tuitama said. “”(Even if) we’re up by 60 or 70, just run the offense.””