Icecats searching for players at meeting today

Consistency will be the main focus for the 2007-08 version of the Arizona men’s club hockey team.

Head coach Leo Golembiewski returns for his 29th season with the hope that more consistent play will land the Icecats back in the American Collegiate Hockey Association National Tournament, which they missed out on last year for only the third time since the tournament started in 1983.

Golembiewski said his vision when he started the Icecats

Our goals are the same now as they were then: to graduate players and go to the Dance.

Leo
    Golembiewski,
    Icecats head coach

was to use quality American players to legitimize college hockey in the U.S.

“”Our goals are the same now as they were then: to graduate players and go to the Dance,”” Golembiewski said.

This year’s team will likely not be as diverse as last year’s team, which featured players from 15 different states, but the squad has the same goals, said second-year associate head coach Dave Dougall.

Golembiewski and Dougall are still looking for players to fill out the roster. A meeting will be held today at 4 p.m. on the fourth floor of the Student Union Memorial Center in the Ventana Room. The meeting is for all new, returning or interested players, and each attendee must bring a copy of their class schedule.

Tryouts for the Icecats begin next Tuesday at the Tucson Convention Center.

“”Nationals is the target,”” Dougall said. “”We hope to develop depth and consistency from our players in order to get there.””