Blogs

Jennings takes official visit, scrimmages over the weekend

UA men’s basketball commit Brandon Jennings showed off his athleticism during his official visit to campus this weekend.

Jennings, the No. 1 player in the class of 2008 according to ESPN.com, committed to Arizona in June after an unofficial visit. This visit still could have been important, as it’s not uncommon for a player of Jennings’ ilk to de-commit – something Jennings has already done after originally telling Tim Floyd and USC he would be a Trojan.

During the scrimmage in McKale Center on Friday, the point guard Jennings often matched up with UA freshman guard Jerryd Bayless, a player with similar talent whom recruiting Web site www.Rivals.com ranked No. 13 nationally in his class.

Jennings showed great vision in finding his future teammates for easy shots while shooting well from 3-point range.

The recruit teamed with sophomore forward Jordan Hill, whose offseason work on his jump shot appears to have paid off. Hill looked comfortable taking and hitting medium-range jumpers, an addition to his game that could make him NBA-worthy.

Former ASU star not hooked on phonics

We’ve all made the joke that we went to U of A instead of ASU because we already know how to read.

Apparently Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia, a former Devil, did not possess the same capabilities when making his college choice – or even after.

In this week’s “”Pop Culture Grid”” in Sports Illustrated, Pedroia said, “”I don’t know how to read”” to answer the question of the best thing he read the previous week.

Sure, he’s probably joking, but because he’s an ASU guy, you’ve got to wonder.

Good thing he’s got former Wildcat Terry Francona as his manager.