Police Beat: April 16

Not your typical Pictionary

UA custodians were cleaning toilets at 6 a.m. on Wednesday in the Chemistry building when they noticed that the stalls were covered in black marks. One of the custodians called the University of Arizona Police Department after seeing multiple graffiti marks. Officers arrived and asked the man to show them where most of the markings were. As he showed them, he told officers that the markings were not there the day before.

Officers noticed that one of the most obvious and offensive markings was one of a man’s head. The man was wearing glasses and had a penis and testicles in his mouth. There was an arrow pointing to the head, and at the end of the arrow read the name of a UA employee. Another caption next to the mouth read, “Yum!!” The last caption, written in a different color maker, read “Black cock and 9.”

Officers then noticed another piece of graffiti in the next stall, which was a large swastika. Officers took photos of the markings and informed the employee, about the drawing. The employee told police that drawing was not threatening. The employee also did not want to press charges if a suspect was found. Officers checked the rest of the bathrooms in the buildings, but did not find any more graffiti marks.

No weed, but at least there’s beer

A resident assistant reported a strong smell of marijuana coming from a resident’s room at 11 p.m. on Wednesday. The RA told UAPD officers that the resident’s door was closed, and officers went to the dorm to speak with the RA.

The RA showed them which room the smell was coming from. Officers knocked on the student’s door, and a man answered. The officers asked if they could enter his room and he responded, “Yeah, sure.” The officers asked him where his roommate was, and he said he was working out at the Student Recreation Center. Officers noted in their report that they could immediately smell the marijuana upon entering his room.

When officers asked him if they could search his side of the room, he responded, “Please, po. There is no weed in here.” The officers then looked around his room and saw a 12-pack of Bud Light in his closet. They asked the student, who is a minor, if there was any more alcohol in the room, and he said, “Yeah there is some in my fridge and it’s all mine.”

Officers did not find any marijuana, but they took the 12-pack, walked the man to the bathroom and asked him to pour the beers out into the sink. They then asked him to carry the box of empty beer bottles to the trash.

Officers cited him for minor in possession of alcohol in body and referred him to the Dean of Students Office.