See if these ideas make the grade

PASS: Stellar at Eller

The Eller College of Management has been long known for its excellence, performing at the top of its class in both graduate and undergraduate programs. This week, the college brought academic discourse on campus to a higher level, hosting former Economist editor Bill Emmott at McClelland Hall for a talk on globalization. Eller College president Paul Portney has been able to leverage his position to bring a terrific bill of speakers to campus this semester, of whom Bill Emmott is only the first. For fomenting discourse and training leaders, the Eller College’s excellent speaker’s lineup gets a wholehearted pass.

Incomplete: Rainbow, rainbow, go away, it’s too bad we’ll have to pay

Even though the highly touted Rainbow Bridge will no longer be built as a part of Tucson’s Rio Nuevo plan, we are still left to foot a hefty $7.1 million bill from costly architects and designers. Cheers to President Robert Shelton for nipping the bridge plan in the bud and not letting the costs escalate too high, but as work starts on a new Rio Nuevo project, let’s hope Shelton and the city of Tucson keep a close eye on their checkbooks, before more money goes down the drain. Though the city may be willing to spend $3.6 million to help the UA pay for the expenses this time, let’s make sure we realize that in the future, we may not be so lucky. We support Shelton’s request, but until the city helps the UA clean up the Rainbow Bridge aftermath, Tucson gets an incomplete.

FAIL: Who are we, ASU?

The Wildcats fought admirably against the USC Trojans over the weekend. Even though our team was unable to pull off a win, the fans lost in a bigger way, with classless chants. Of course we’re going to get loud and rowdy to support our team; of course we’re going to cheer and have fun. However, there’s absolutely no need for a sports game to denigrate into a jeering obscenity-shouting contest between opposing camps. Let’s grow up and leave the offensive plays to the quarterbacks. Until they can learn to clean up their mouths and cheer with dignity, foul-mouthed fans get a fail.

PASS: Going, going, going green

With temperatures heating up around the globe and fuel costs continuing to increase, it’s good to know that UA administrators have their minds on how to protect our environment as well as oversee our education. The UA is in the process of switching from using nonrenewable fossil fuels in campus vehicles to ethanol-based E85 fuel, which reduces greenhouse gas emissions and carbon monoxide emissions by more than one-third each. The UA’s water conservation plan is also progressing just swimmingly, with more efficient irrigation systems implemented on campus. And hopefully, you’ll put this paper in one of campus’ many recycling bins when you’re done reading it. For keeping an eye on our planet, UA’s environmental planning gets a pass.