Veterans Enrollment Sets Record

December 16, 1955

Enrollment of veterans under the GI Korean Bill in Arizona has broken all records of the three-year-old training program and will probably pass the 4,000 mark, according to state Veterans Administration office in Phoenix.

James M. Keating, manager of the Arizona regional VA office, made this announcement.

Incomplete reports from the schools show that nearly 3,900 Korean veterans were in training on December 1,”” Keating said. This figure represents a 35 per cent increase over the 2,700 enrollment a year ago.

College enrollments made the largest stride over the past year, Keating pointed out, rising from 2,000 veteran students on Dec. 1, 1954, to 3,000 this year; a 50 per cent increase.

On-the-job training enrollments increased 30 per cent from 280 to 360, with enrollments below college level at 480 students remaining about the same. On-farm training remains static with 19 trainees.

On Dec. 1, 1955, less than 300 World War II veterans were enrolled in GI training — less than half the total of 660 in schools and training establishments a year ago. But the number of GI trainees — World War II and Korean veterans together — was higher this year than last. The total of all veterans enrolled on Dec. 1, of this year was 4,200 as compared with 3,450 a year ago.