Mailbag

Newspapers shouldn’t ‘tell us how to think’

Fabulous! The prestigious Daily Wildcat is here to tell the rest of us mindless gnomes what to do.

“”Like our readers, we spent a good deal of this year thinking about who we were going to be voting for. We read all the platforms, followed all the major issues and watched all the debates. We tried to make our final decision as informed as possible. Who you decide to vote for is up to you, of course. But if these endorsements help you make up your mind, we’ve done our job.””

Translation: “”We actually had our minds pretty much made up before the Democratic Primaries were even close to being done. We watched the debates the same way we watch our favorite football team at the Super Bowl with no plan for balanced observation; we just cheer for our team. We watch all the liberal commentators and read all the liberal blogs so we can be as informed on only one side of each issue and candidate as possible. We won’t kill you if you vote for somebody else, but if we’ve influenced your thinking by touting our supposed credentials as the Self-Proclaimed Know-It-Alls, we’ve done our job. Vote Democrat!””

Is it too hard to simply describe the candidates and propositions without telling us how to think? Major newspapers have seen drastic declines in readership because of their transparent bias, yet this paper does everything it can to emulate them. Every candidate endorsement and virtually every take on a proposition is straight from a team of lefties. There is no attempt at balance, no striving for an opposing perspective.

Perhaps if the Wildcat Opinions Board tried to diversify, they might find that other opinions are equally valid. Readers, don’t let this farce of a paper tell you what to think!

Jonathan Rutherford

psychology senior

Daily Wildcat endorsements promote bias

I find it oxymoronic that the Daily Wildcat is endorsing certain politicians for the upcoming election, yet the subheading encourages readers to make their own decisions. Stating “”if these endorsements help help you make up your mind, we’ve done our job,”” directly contradicts the reader’s freedom of choice.

Furthermore, I find it rather unprofessional that the Daily Wildcat would endorse politicians so directly in the first place. Although the media has a reputation of giving the public bias information, you don’t see the New York Times or CBS directly endorsing anyone. The Daily Wildcat’s job is to inform, not endorse.

Kristina Remy

sophomore majoring in psychology

and ecology and evolutionary biology