New editor in chief takes reigns of Wildcat

Allison Hornick, a sophomore majoring in journalism and communication, and Justyn Dillingham, a junior majoring in political science and history, get ready to take control of the Arizona Daily Wildcat. Dillingham has been named editor in chief for the Summer Wildcat and Hornick for the fall semester.

Two words can summarize the job of the editor in chief of the Arizona Daily Wildcat: enormous responsibility.

But it’s a task that Allison Hornick, a sophomore majoring in journalism and communication, will take up in the fall.

The editor in chief manages a staff of at least 100 students and puts in 50-55 hours per week to be able to uphold the high standards of the UA’s award-winning student newspaper.

Mark Woodhams, director of Arizona Student Media and adviser to the Wildcat for 14 years, said he is confident in the abilities of Hornick and said she will bring “”tons of energy”” to paper.

“”I’m really excited to be the leader of one of the top college papers in the country,”” said Hornick, the current managing editor of the Wildcat.

Hornick, former design chief for the paper, said she thinks she will be able to handle the daunting task of running a paper.

Nicole Santa Cruz, a journalism senior and current editor in chief, said Hornick was essentially her “”sidekick”” this semester and is going to be great at her new job next semester.

“”She knows a ton about every aspect of the paper,”” Santa Cruz said of Hornick. “”I have no doubt in her abilities to continue the paper’s success and even take it to the next level.””

Santa Cruz said for her position, it is important to know every facet of the Wildcat, or else the paper will suffer.

During this summer, Hornick will be an intern at the Orange County Register, a newspaper in Santa Ana, Calif., with a daily circulation of almost 300,000. She said the experience she will gain there should greatly help her to continue publishing quality issues.

Woodhams said he hopes Hornick’s time at the Orange County Register will inspire her with new ideas that can improve the Wildcat next year.

But before Hornick starts in the fall, Justyn Dillingham, a junior majoring in political science and history, will serve as editor in chief of the Arizona Summer Wildcat, a weekly publication.

Dillingham is currently the copy chief for the Wildcat, and he has also worked as the assistant arts editor and as a columnist.

Dillingham said the newspaper is a great way to connect with the rest of the university. He said he is excited about his new position and will make sure something interesting goes into each issue of the summer paper.

“”I want something that can really grab people’s attention,”” Dillingham said. Although it’s harder to get students to pick up the once-a-week paper in the summer, Dillingham said he’s up to the challenge.

Having worked his way up from a reporter for the arts section, Dillingham said he thinks he has a strong idea of what journalism should be, and he looks forward to tackling the responsibility that goes along with the title of editor in chief.

Dillingham said he is certain that Hornick will do a “”really good job”” during the fall semester.

“”I’m looking forward to working with her,”” Dillingham said.