Students meet majors at fair

From left to right, undeclared sophomores Kendall Meisler, Melissa Knowski, and undeclared freshmen Dominic Matteucci and Daniel Kidwell listen to Michael Greeley, an academic adviser for the Political Science Department at the Meet Your Major fair in the Student Union Memorial Center on Wednesday.

With more than 20 colleges and 120 undergraduate degree programs at the UA, it can seem daunting for undeclared students to find a niche.

The Meet Your Major Fair held Wednesday is an annual event to p students broaden their knowledge of the programs offered at the university, and to help with their decision of which area to pursue.

Undeclared freshman Sarah Herndon spoke of her concern having not solidified a path.

“”It’s intimidating when many of my friends have majors, and I’m still wondering where I fit,”” Herndon said. “”But I’m here to figure out what I want to do with my four years, and I’m not going to waste any more time being undeclared.””

Dana Spaniol, Student Ambassador to the College of Retail and Consumer Sciences, gave her insight on the importance of the fair.

“”This event is great because it’s a chance for each department to promote themselves individually,”” Spaniol continued, “”If students come with a major in mind that they would like o learn more about, they can find it here. Or, if there is an undeclared freshman who has no idea what to study, they will leave this fair with some direction.””

The latter was the case for undeclared freshman Zachary Eisenberg.

“”My dad told me to go to the UA undeclared, because this will give me a chance to fogure things out for myself,”” Eisenberg said. “”I didn’t realize how many programs I could see myself in.””

Eisenberg said that he came to the Meet Your Major Fair with a general idea of what he Reid said. “”We get a chance to show them all the wanted to study, but he changed his mind when he different areas of study that are offered at UA and
    discovered a program that suited him better.