Think outside the box for Tucson winter workouts

Working out doesn’t always have to involve a treadmill and a weight set.

Now that it’s cool enough to head outdoors during the day, it’s time to break free of that gym routine and look outside the box to several of Tucson’s simple exercise alternatives.

Hiking

Go outside and check out one of Tucson’s national forests, Sabino Canyon. Located in the Coronado National Forest, this desert refuge features trails ranging from easy to very challenging. The Bear Canyon Trail offers two different treks, Sabino Dam and Seven Falls. The Seven Falls Trail is a bit more challenging but worth the three to four hours of hiking. The falls are refreshing and cool once you reach the top of Bear Canyon, leaving you in a little desert oasis. Make a day trip of it and go with a group of friends. Parking is only $5 and it will show you some serene views of the Old Pueblo.

Climbing

Feeling like you just want to get off the ground? Tucson offers a variety of rock climbing classes, indoor and outdoor. Rocks and Ropes downtown offers an indoor climbing facility with ceilings as high as 35 feet and 13,000 square feet to climb around and explore. Instructors are there to guide you, and daily passes are available for $12. If you’re more interested in the real deal, Mount Lemmon offers several rock climbing expeditions. These somewhat pricey trips come with a certified guide and gear, and are usually in the morning.

Yoga

Tap into your chi with the new-age practice of yoga. Using balancing poses and fluid movements, these classes are guaranteed to leave you sore the next day. The Student Recreation Center offers group class yoga several times a week. These can be paid for individually if you haven’t purchased a fitness pass. Tucson also has several yoga studios to choose from, so finding an instructor who fits your needs and location shouldn’t be difficult.