Ex-Cat Sends Nazi Flag

February 16, 1945

The fighting spirit of Wildcats in service is revealed in the spoils of war sent to A. L. Slonaker, graduate manager. Chief of those now displayed in his office in the administration building is a Nazi flag sent to him by one of scores of students with whom he corresponds.

Over one door in his office is draped the huge Nazi flag. The emblem’s swastika is enclosed in a white circle upon a red background. It is one and a half times as large as the door it is draped over.

The flag was sent to Slonaker by a former UA football star, Lt. Stanley Petropolis. Petropolis played football on the varsity team for three years from 1940 to 1942 and is now fighting in the European battle area.

Another enemy flag was sent to Slonaker by George Robertson of Tombstone. This is a Jap flag that Slonaker has displayed over another door. It is about 2 X 4 feet in dimension. This emblem was removed from the flag pole in the Tinian Islands, Robertson wrote in his letter to Slonaker.

Abe Chanin, former editor of the Wildcat who has been overseas for the past year, recently sent Slonaker two souvenirs, a German storm trooper doll and a swastika arm band. The storm trooper doll is a ridiculous-looking tow with a mustache and grey black hair. It has a tan military shirt, black tie, swastika arm band, black skirt, and boots.

The arm band has a swastika on it and is similar to the miniature arm band on the doll. All the trophies are on display for the university public in Slonaker’s office.