Heritage tabs Olson for ’07

Though Lute Olson is still away from the Arizona men’s basketball team, his presence is still being felt throughout the state.

Olson, who has been on an indefinite leave of absence since Nov. 4, is scheduled to receive the 2007 Heritage Award from the Arizona Chamber of Commerce and Industry on Friday.

Since 1991, the Chamber has honored distinguished individuals whose accomplishments and commitment to Arizona are recognized within the state, the country and on an international level.

“”Whatever award Lute Olson gets he deserves,”” said UA interim head coach Kevin O’Neill. “”I’ve said this ever since I’ve gotten here and especially since he hasn’t been with us: You miss greatness.””

Olson has served as Arizona’s coach for 24 seasons. A member of the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, he has led the Wildcats to 23 consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances, 11 Pacific 10 Conference titles and four Final Four appearances, including a national title in 1997.

Previous Heritage Award recipients include Barry Goldwater (1991), Sandra Day O’Connor (2003), John McCain (2000) and Jon Kyl (2005).

Olson will be recognized at the Heritage Award dinner Friday at the Camelback Inn Resort and Spa in Scottsdale.

For information on how to purchase a ticket or sponsor a table, visit www.azchamber.com/heritage_dinner.html or call 602-248-9172.

– Michael Schwartz contributed to this report