Soundoff: Aug. 31

Problems in Libya are just beginning

By now we have all heard about the ongoing battle in Libya for control of the country. If you haven’t heard, where exactly have you been? After a long battle that began in February, the Libyan rebels have successfully ousted Col. Moammar Gadhafi and his family from their near 42-year reign over the country. This comes as a huge success for rebels, who have been fighting very hard for change in the country over the past six months, but now the real problems are about to begin.

At this point in time, many different sects of Libyan rebels have all joined together in their efforts to bring down Gadhafi. Now that the dictator has been removed, the task of how to run the country is going to come into full swing. The truth is that the overwhelming majority of the rebels don’t have a clue as to how to run a country of more than 6 million people.

All of these Libyan rebels have been fighting for a new democracy, but they don’t have any perception on how to enforce this new democracy. Many of these rebels have different ideas on what new systems should be implemented. The opposition is going to push for a democracy that leans more toward the United States, while other rebels are likely to try and institute Shariah Law in the country.

It will not be surprising to see Libyan rebels begin to turn on each other in the coming days. Now that all of the rebels have accomplished the same set task, we will begin to see what underlying motives each of these sects envisions as their idea of change and democracy. These Libyan rebels saw the removal of Gadhafi as the light at the end of the tunnel, but unfortunately the long and winding tunnel is just beginning.

­— Joshua Segall is a management information systems senior. He can be reached at letters@wildcat.arizona.edu.

Careful what you wish for, Brewer

Gov. Jan Brewer wants to reschedule the state primaries so that Arizona can play a more prominent role in the election of the Republican presidential nominee. The current date for primaries is Feb. 28, but she wants to move it to Jan. 31. According to Howard Fischer Capitol Media Services, it is all in an effort to draw more attention to the issues facing the Southwest, particularly immigration.

There is speculation that Brewer would back off from moving the date, if the Republican National Committee offered a proper incentive to enable Arizona to get more notice during the primaries.

It has been suggested that if Arizona were guaranteed a Republican primary debate, Arizona would maintain its current
    election date.

While Brewer is busy trying to get more press coverage for the dead horse that is the topic of immigration, she ought to consider how much additional flak she could bring in the process. The last time Arizona got an abundance of coverage on immigration, it didn’t work out too well for the state’s image. Arizona nearly stole the title of craziest state from defending champion Texas.

While I actually give Brewer some credit for trying to get her state some more attention and capitalize on the opportunity, she is still trying to draw eyes to the wrong area. Maybe we could try to turn this whole possible media coverage into a positive by showing other states how we’re not just a bundle of bigots who create crazy laws to alienate minorities. But in the end, I guess Brewer will accept any coverage she can get.

— Storm Byrd is the Perspectives editor for the Daily Wildcat. He can be reached at letters@wildcat.arizona.edu.