Women’s tennis to open fall season

A fitness-oriented preseason training program looks to translate into success for the Arizona women’s tennis team today in Fresno, Calif.

Success, however, won’t be measured by the team’s results, said UA assistant coach Brian Ramirez. Rather, individual techniques and specific elements to each match will provide Ramirez with a concrete base to build off.

Sophomores Natalia Toporowska and Katie Orletsky will represent Arizona at the Bulldog Invitational tournament, which starts today, while freshman Jane Huh and senior Camelia Todorova will represent Arizona at the El Paso Invitational tournament. Both tournaments, which begin this weekend, don’t necessarily carry team goals.

“”Really what we’re looking at this part of the year is (getting) as many matches as they can under their belt,”” Ramirez said. “”We’re looking at some very specific areas of their game in the fall. We really want to see how the girls are feeling in the specific areas we’ve detailed for each player.””

Orletsky joined the squad last January, with a lack of fall tournament experience. Ramirez said she progressed during the summer months, while certainly excelling during this fall’s preseason training. The Titusville, Fla., native said she aims to improve doubles play and hopes to gain confidence in her matches.

“”That was one big thing that hurt me last year, not having as much college experience,”” Orletsky said.

Orletsky added more fitness into her summer program, while developing better volleys and net play.

Along with singles play, Orletsky also joins Toporowska in a doubles match this weekend. Ramirez said he hopes for smooth play, fewer unforced errors and closing out of matches.

“”Both have done a very good job in the past by putting themselves in a position to win matches – now we need to see them win them out,”” Ramirez said.

Toporowska begins this fall with considerable progress from last season, Ramirez said. The Kluczbork, Poland, native joined the team last season after being ranked No. 1 in Ontario, Canada, during high school. Like Orletsky, fitness training evolved into a large priority during offseason conditioning.

“”Their fitness needs to be a reasonable high level for them to do well,”” Ramirez said.

In El Paso, freshman Huh will debut her college career, hoping to experiment and tweak her game, according to UA head coach Vicky Maes.

Maes selected the four healthiest players to compete this weekend, as several members of the team are suffering from small sores and aches. Since the fall tournament season is primarily a preparation for the spring, Maes has the opportunity to tweak the lineup.

“”We want to be smart about it,”” Maes said. “”There are certainly some who we’re sitting out as much as possible so they’re fresh as possible for the spring.””

Maes would not disclose the players currently sidelined due to injury.

Team chemistry also saw improvement during the preseason. Ramirez said he expects diligent work ethics combined with strong team camaraderie to translate into successful match play.

Arizona comes off two first-round losses in tournament play last May. Danielle Steinberg represented the Wildcats as a sophomore in the NCAA Singles Championship, but lost to Florida’s Csilla Borsanyi in the first round in straight sets, 6-1, 6-1.

During team tournament play, the Wildcats fell to Kentucky 4-0 in the first round at the Bill Moore Tennis Center in Atlanta to end their season at 9-14 overall.

Steinberg and Juliette Mavroleon posted the only win in doubles play, 8-2.