Swing by the mall for Mi Casa, Your Casa 2.0

Kristijan Barnjak

Joseph Siml, a University of Arizona junior majoring in architecture, on the red swings that are part of the Arizona Arts Live installation, “Mi Casa, Your Casa 2.0.” The swings will be in front of the Modern Languages building until Nov. 7.

On Tuesday, Oct. 5, Arizona Arts Live and the Wildcat Events Board revealed a new installation of swings by the Modern Languages building on the University of Arizona campus. 

These bright red swing sets can be seen from far away, and it has many students asking what they are and why they are here. 

“I like it!” said UA senior Sarah Ruhalter. “I don’t know where they came from or why, but I’m not complaining right now.”

Arizona Arts Live Executive Director Chad Herzog said this project has been in the works for quite some time.

“This project actually started in the summer when Provost [Liesl] Folks reached out and asked if we could help her find ways to spark fun and bring enjoyment back to campus,” Herzog said. “We, being Arizona Arts Live, started looking for activation areas and ways. We looked at everything from swings to seesaws to some other things. We wanted it to be something that would sit in place for more than a night or a day, and could actually spend some time with us.”

And thus, the swing sets arrived. The installation is called “Mi Casa, Your Casa 2.0.” This name has a deeper meaning than one might think. 

“The name makes perfect sense, as we are welcoming people back to campus and welcoming us all back home,” Herzog said. “It felt like the right thing and [Folks] was very excited, and her excitement spilled into the Dean of Students, the President’s office and University [Marketing and Communications] and my most exciting part of it was then getting Wildcat Events Board excited.”

Wildcat Events Board, better known as WEB, usually puts on events across campus and the university area that encourage students to come outside, take a break from classes, relax and have fun on campus.

WEB was very excited to join in on the swing action and get the student body excited.

“They actually reached out to us with this idea, and they wanted our help with the marketing aspect to it,” said Esther Maye Lopez, executive director of the Wildcat Events Board. “They really wanted it to be marketed to students, and we do events for students, so that was a great way for them to create that relationship between us and allow something both for the community and for students to happen at [UA].”

Though many students enjoy the swings, some have recognized that they do have their shortcomings.

“Honestly, I wish they were a little more inclusive to the plus-size community,” said UA student Diana Vasquez. “They have a limit of 250 pounds, and we’re all different. If we had this money to spend on them they could have made it inclusive.”

The swings will be here until Sunday, Nov. 7. Until then, they can give students a space to relax and reset when needed, especially during the stressful period of midterm exams.

Follow Kiara Adams on Twitter