Professor murdered

Retired UA professor Mac E. Hadley, 76, was killed Wednesday, according to Tucson Police Department officials.

His body was found in his home, on the 1900 block of West Calle Campana de Plata, which was set on fire.

Police are ruling the death a homicide, said TPD spokesperson Sgt. Decio Hoppfer.

Hoppfer would not say if Hadley died in the fire or if he was first murdered and then the house was set on fire.

“”Everyone is in such shock that no one really knows right now what to think or how to act.””

– Ronald Heimark,
    associate professor of cell biology and anatomy

Although police know the specific details of how Hadley died, they do not want to disclose information until later, as it would jeopardize the case, Hoppfer said.

“”We don’t have a time frame, but it would be nice to catch the bad guys,”” Hoppfer said.

A UA professor emeritus, Hadley was a long-time member of the cell biology and anatomy department, said Carol Bernstein, a research associate professor for the cell biology and anatomy department.

Hadley was hired as a professor in 1968 and continued to research with the UA after he retired in 1997.

Bernstein said Hadley went home at an unusual time Wednesday, and faculty suspect that Hadley entered his house during a burglary, then was killed by the criminals, who set the house on fire to cover the crime.

Hadley was in the midst of collaborating with other UA professors on a $200 million deal involving his patented discovery that allowed tanning without ultraviolet ray exposure, Bernstein said.

Hadley gave a lecture about his group’s research on melanocortin hormones – specifically on their discovery, biological roles and commercialization – at the UA Oct. 23.

Bernstein said she last spoke with Hadley two days ago, when he visited his office in the Life Sciences building.

Ronald Heimark, an associate professor of cell biology and anatomy, said he believes the department will hold a memorial for Hadley.

“”He was very well-respected, people thought a lot of him,”” Heimark said. “”Everyone is in such shock that no one really knows right now what to think or how to act.””

She said Hadley was “”quiet, reserved and an accurate person.””

“”He was always a low-key, very modest person,”” she said.

Hadley was the author of a textbook on endocrinology, which focused on chemical messengers and hormones in the physiological processes.

The fire was reported at about 3:30 p.m. and caused an estimated $70,000 in damage, according to police reports.

Hadley’s car, a white, 1996 four-door Toyota Camry, is missing. The plate number of the vehicle is 128-VLM. Anyone with information should call 911 or 88-CRIME.