The Student News Site of University of Arizona

The Daily Wildcat

87° Tucson, AZ

The Daily Wildcat

The Daily Wildcat


    Police Beat: Jan. 30

    Unmusical chairs

    University of Arizona Police Department officers went to the Park Student Union on Tuesday afternoon after a female employee reported that a student had thrown a chair at her. The employee had approached the student and asked if the student was OK because he was not wearing pants. In response, he stood up and yelled profanities. The employee said she felt scared and threatened, so she started to run away to call the police. When the student realized that the employee was calling the police, he decided to throw a chair at her, nearly hitting her.

    The student stormed out of PSU, but police eventually caught up with him. When the responding officer asked him to stop, the student yelled profanities back and continued to walk. The officer then signaled for backup. Officers with Tasers eventually surrounded the student, and arrested him on the ground. The student did not respond to any questions. Officers read him his rights and sent him to Pima County Jail, where he was booked for disorderly conduct and disturbing the peace. The employee said she wanted to file charges against him.

    The one that got away

    A UAPD officer was traveling south on Campbell Avenue on Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. in an unmarked car when he noticed a red vehicle traveling approximately 75 mph in a 55 mph zone. As the officer pulled behind the car, the driver of the car appeared to realize he was being pulled over and quickly turned left on 22nd Street. The officer turned left as well, but did not remember if it was a green light or green arrow. A silver Toyota traveling north crashed into the officer’s car on its passenger side. No one was seriously injured. The driver in the red car was able to get away. The officer and the owner of the silver Toyota waited as the Tucson Fire Department and tow trucks arrived to take away the cars.

    Bad boyfriend breakdown

    A female student was taken to a mental care facility on Tuesday at 6:45 p.m., after UAPD went to Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall in response to a call made by the resident assistant. The RA said a female student was writing, texting and telling people that she was going to commit suicide by overdosing on sleeping pills. When police spoke to her and asked why she wanted to commit suicide, she said she just found out that her boyfriend of one year had been cheating on her.

    The officer then asked if she had always been on numerous pills and mentally unstable, and the student said, “I have been since I was a freshman in high school.” The officer asked her if she would like to speak with a professional at the Crisis Response Center, but she declined. The officer felt that she was a danger to others and herself, so he requested an involuntary petition to a mental institution. A team of specialists from the Crisis Response Center evaluated and signed the petition, and the student was transported to the University of Arizona Medical Center – South Campus.

    More to Discover
    Activate Search