Television networks will offer variety of holiday specials

Lee Mendelson Film Productions

As Thanksgiving is just a day away, the holidays are officially upon us, and with mashed potatoes, football and tryptophan-induced warm naps come television specials. Here’s a listing of what to watch over the break. All times are in Eastern Standard Time.

“Planes, Trains, and Automobiles”

Today, 8 p.m., The CW

The classic comedy starring Steve Martin and the late John Candy. Neal Page (Martin) is trying to get home to his family in Chicago from a business trip in New York. However, bubbly traveling salesman Del Griffith (Candy) foils his planned trip home, and Page, who grows increasingly annoyed by the minute, finds himself spending a three-day journey with the very man who is the source of his anxiety. For those unfamiliar with Martin’s earlier film work, this is one of his classics. Of particular note is a scene where the two unlikely companions are forced to share a bed in a seedy motel.

“Cops” marathon

Thursday, 9 a.m., Spike TV

Twelve hours of “Cops.” This show is the perfect microcosm of the 1990s. Be thankful we’ve put a good decade between them and us.

“The Godfather” and “The Godfather: Part II”

Thursday, 11:30 a.m., AMC

If you haven’t seen these movies yet, then why not do so over a holiday? You’ll be a a more cultured person and a better American for it, as these are some of the finest films American cinema has ever produced.

“A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving”

Thursday, 8 p.m., ABC

Though I am partial to “It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown,” this is a classic in its own right. Peppermint Patty invites herself over to Charlie Brown’s house for Thanksgiving, and he soon finds himself having to provide a feast for all the kids in his neighborhood. Snoopy saves the day, though, and proudly serves his starving guests the be all, end all of Thanksgiving smorgasbords: two slices of buttered toast, some pretzel sticks, a dash of popcorn and a few jellybeans.

Follow Alex Guyton @TDWildcatFilm