Police Beat: November 26

Man crushes cans in Commons

A University of Arizona Police Department officer arrested a man for several warrants after finding him crushing cans and making a mess in the Highland Commons courtyard at 11:15 a.m. on Nov. 11.

While on patrol, the officer noticed the non-UA-affiliated man making a mess of the area with various liquids and cigarette butts, which he had been tossing on the ground.

The officer approached the man and asked him what he was doing and if he had any identification.
    The officer found that the man had two outstanding warrants, one for failing to appear in court for charges of marijuana possession and the other for failing to appear for charges of criminal trespassing. The man was handcuffed and searched.

During the search, the officer found a pocketknife in the man’s pocket, and noticed that the man had a number of cuts on his wrists and thighs. The man told the officer that he was “a cutter, to feel better,” adding that he had over 1,400 scars on his body.

The man was taken to Pima County Jail and booked. The officer placed the man’s backpack and bicycle into safekeeping.

When you gotta go, you gotta go

A non-UA-affiliated man trying to start a fight at the Sixth Street Circle K prompted officers to respond and arrest the man for an outstanding warrant at about 5 p.m. on Nov. 11.

Wen the officers arrived, the store clerk told them that the man had walked in and tried to start a fight with several of the store’s customers. One of the officers recognized a man matching the description walking away from the store. The officer found the man and sat him down for questioning. The man, who smelled of alcohol and had slurred speech, told the officer that he acted unruly earlier because he needed to “pee.”

After asking for identification, the officer confirmed that the man had an outstanding misdemeanor warrant from the Tucson Police Department, and arrested, handcuffed and searched him.

As the man was being placed into the patrol car, he stumbled, striking the door with his left cheek and cutting it. The officer cleaned the cut with an alcohol pad and bandaged it, and the man denied further assistance for the cut when offered.

The man was booked in Pima County Jail.