Team Georgia no prob for Cats

Guard Daniel Dillon drives to the hoop in Arizonas 125-74 win over Team Georgia Saturday in McKale Center. Dillon scored 15 points, including three 3s, and collected five assists.
    Guard Daniel Dillon drives to the hoop in Arizona’s 125-74 win over Team Georgia Saturday in McKale Center. Dillon scored 15 points, including three 3’s, and collected five assists.

When the opposing team came out in Arizona practice jerseys, it was an early indication that Arizona’s first exhibition game would be a blowout. Team Georgia posed little threat to the No. 10 Wildcats, who got out to a 14-2 lead and didn’t look back in a 125-74 romp Saturday in McKale Center.

Freshmen Nic Wise and Chase Budinger each scored 24 points to lead Arizona, while senior point guard Mustafa Shakur dished out 16 assists in a game where the Wildcats shot practically the same percentage on 3-pointers (51.9) as two-pointers (52.3).

“”One thing I noticed (Saturday) that we tried to work on: Arizona teams are known to start out of the gates slow – and we came out on fire,”” guard Jawann McClellan said.

McClellan scored 19 points in 20 minutes and ran off his own spurt when he scored eight points in 57 seconds midway through the first half.

But it was McClellan’s hometown partner who stole the show. Wise, a fellow Houston native, didn’t miss a field goal, shooting 8-for-8 from the field, including 4-for-4 from beyond the 3-point arc, and scored 21 of his 24 points in the second half.

“”I only got like five minutes in the first half, so I just wanted to come out and prove myself that I should be getting more playing time,”” Wise said.

Wise scored 11 points in a 2:07 stretch in the second half, hitting three 3-pointers while playing shooting guard alongside Shakur.

Forward Ivan Radenovic played for just 12 minutes because of a thigh injury he took in practice Thursday. Radenovic, who wore a sleeve on his thigh, appeared to re-aggravate the injury in the first half, but Olson said the injury is not serious.

Forward Marcus Williams and center Kirk Walters did not play at all, as expected, but Williams said he would be at practice Monday after an individual workout with assistant coach Miles Simon prior to Saturday’s game.

“”There’s obviously some tightness,”” Williams said of his right ankle, “”but I walk fine on it.””

Simon told Olson that he didn’t notice Williams favoring the ankle and Williams and Olson both said that Williams will play Wednesday against the University of Victoria.

Olson said center Kirk Walters, who was originally expected to play Saturday, now may have a virus on top of recovering from the aftereffects of a concussion that may be causing dizziness.

Fellow big men Mohamed Tangara and Bret Brielmaier also did not see much time due to injuries.

Although the litany of injuries has bothered Arizona and kept the team from installing a complete offense, it hasn’t kept the Wildcats from becoming a better shooting team.

“”This is the third year playing against Arizona, but this is the best shooting team that I have ever seen,”” said Team Georgia head coach Elbert Outlaw. “”They can shoot from the perimeter, they are athletic and they have the deepest bench I have seen in a while.””