Kanye to light up McKale Center

It’s official: Kanye West is headed for McKale Center.

Tommy Bruce, president of the Associated Students of the University of Arizona confirmed yesterday that the Grammy Awardwinning rapper is scheduled to play a concert April 24.

“”It’s going to be a great show, a great thing for the UA campus and the Tucson community,”” Bruce said.

Students will have an exclusive window between 8 a.m. and noon Friday to buy tickets on the ASUA Web site at asua.arizona.edu.

After that, tickets, which will cost from $35-$70, will become available to the general public through the Web site.

Students will get $10 off each transaction of up to six tickets, Bruce said.

Those who visit ASUA’s polling booth in front the Student Union Memorial Center’s south entrance today can sign up to win two free tickets in a raffle, he said.

Bruce cautioned that the on-sale date could change, as both ASUA and West’s representatives have yet to finalize the terms of a contract.

ASUA is sponsoring the concert.

“”We’re moving forward with an on-sale date (of Friday),”” Bruce said. “”We’re pretty sure it’ll be taken care of by then.””

The concert will be part of West’s Glow in the Dark Tour, which kicks off April 16 in Seattle. Tucson constitutes the only Arizona stop.

Lupe Fiasco and N.E.R.D. join West on the bill.

In 2007, West’s third album, Graduation, debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard charts.

He was nominated for eight Grammy Awards last month, taking home four.

McKale Center, which opened in 1973, has mostly been the venue of men’s basketball games and commencement ceremonies.

The last big-name performer to hit the facility was commentator and filmmaker Michael Moore in 2004.

The last major musician was country star Garth Brooks in 1996.

McKale Center has a seating capacity of 14,545.