Police Beat: March 30

Manly man

University of Arizona Police Department officers were patrolling Highland Avenue when they noticed a student stumbling on the sidewalk at 12:42 a.m. on Friday. The officers pulled over, approached the student and asked him if he was OK.

As the student began to speak, officers smelled alcohol coming from his breath. They noticed he had red, watery eyes and was swaying from side to side. Officers asked if he had anything to drink earlier in the evening, and he replied, “Yes I have and I am 21 years old.”

The officers then asked him for his driver’s license, which showed that he was actually 19 years old. They told him that the license was either fake or that he was not actually 21 and that he had been drinking underage. The man said, “Look guys, I have had a few beers but I am six foot two inches and 200 pounds so it won’t affect me.”

Officers cited him for minor in possession of alcohol in body and referred him to the Dean of Students Office for a Code of Conduct violation. He was then escorted back to his dorm.

Lost from the lab

UAPD officers are investigating a burglary that occurred between Friday at 5:10 p.m. and Monday morning at 8:10 a.m. in the Aquaculture Pathology Laboratory.

Officers met with a lab employee, who said numerous items had been stolen: a black and silver HP computer tower worth $300, a black flat computer monitor worth $100, a black computer keyboard worth $50, a black computer mouse worth $20, a digital camera worth $100, a pair of gray speakers worth $20, an external hard drive worth $100 and miscellaneous other items worth $210. In all, the employee estimated that $800 worth of items had been stolen.

The employee told officers that he was the last person to leave the building on Friday and the first person to enter it on Monday, but clearly remembered locking the door upon leaving. He did say that the door has a latching malfunction, which officers later confirmed. Officers inspected the surrounding areas and photographed the scene. There are no suspects or witnesses at this time.