Napolitano to serve as women’s hoops’ guest coach Sat.

Maybe the publicity will help the Arizona women’s basketball team dig itself out of its funk.

With the game televised by Fox Sports Net and having Arizona Governor Janet Napolitano serving as a guest coach, the Wildcats conclude the first half of conference play as it hosts UCLA tomorrow at 12 p.m. in McKale Center.

All eyes are on Arizona. No pressure.

Napolitano will sit with the Wildcats (7-13, 1-7 Pac-10) on the team bench during the game, and will take part in timeout huddles. She will also attend team meetings at halftime and after the game in the Arizona locker room.

Napolitano is no stranger to athletics. Her website says that she “”is a serious sports fan – the Arizona Diamondbacks are her favorite.””

This marks the fourth time Napolitano has served as a guest coach for the Arizona women’s basketball team. Arizona is 2-1 with her on the bench, gathering wins against WSU and California, while losing to Stanford.

“”She has been a big, big supporter of our program,”” UA head coach Joan Bonvicini said. “”She loves coming down here, being at the U of A and seeing people in Tucson.””

Napolitano even showed her support to the team on Feb. 18, when she sat on the Arizona bench and attended the retirement of the late Shawntinice Polk’s ’00’ jersey following the game.

The governor has also been a guest coach to ASU’s women’s basketball team that boasts a 3-0 record with her assistance. She helped defeat Washington, Oregon and USC.

The Wildcats are hoping that her Pac-10 dominance can lead to a win against the Bruins (9-11, 3-5).

“”We’re honored to have her here on the bench again,”” Bonvicini said.