Cat Scratch

Volleyball at Wildcat Classic

Perhaps the real question should be: Who is hotter, the volleyball team or softball team? Both certainly have a lot of upside, and I’m not sure if at this juncture I can quite come to a conclusion. All I know is that if looks could kill, the Arizona volleyball team is going undefeated this year.

Arizona sweeps

Mike Ritter
    assistant sports editor

I am not going to lie, my knowledge of volleyball goes only about as deep as watching Misty May and Kerri Walsh on the AVP circuit. Since college volleyball is pretty much entirely different, I’m just going to go by home-court advantage.

Arizona takes 2 of 3

Bobby Stover
    sports writer

I covered volleyball last year, and even though the team may have had a bad year, they still had no trouble with their nonconference schedule. Head coach Dave Rubio is holding the fort down, don’t worry ’bout that. It is the perfect way for them to warm up and play as a team. And Whitney Dosty, enjoy your rest; you have nothing to worry about.

Arizona doesn’t lose a set

Ari Wasserman
    sports writer

Pac-10 Football Champs

Is there even any question here? Pete Carroll’s fellow Pac-10 coaches are already calling his current team the best college football team ever. While that’s certainly a stretch, the Trojans are the best team in the conference as well as the country. If the Wildcats are 6-0 on Oct. 12, they’ll be 6-1 on Oct. 13.

USC

Mike Ritter
    assistant sports editor

Last season, California had a chance to take the Pac-10 crown, but it had to come to Arizona Stadium for the Wildcats’ Homecoming weekend. Since Arizona will be doing the traveling this year, the Bears will be able to hold off USC.

California

Bobby Stover
    sports writer

USC. USC. USC. I am so sick of hearing about USC. Yeah, the Trojans may be great, but I promise you they will lose, maybe even more than once. This year the Pac-10 champs reside right here in Tucson. Really the only dominant team preseason is the Trojans, but if Arizona can string together some wins, you may need to reserve a ticket to the Rose Bowl.

Arizona

Ari Wasserman
    sports writer

Fantasy Football Sleeper Pick

It was one fateful day in 2001. The San Diego Chargers traded their No. 1 overall draft pick to the Atlanta Falcons, who used the pick on Michael Vick. The Chargers then went on to use the Falcons’ pick to draft LaDainian Tomlinson in the fifth overall spot. Six years later, the Falcons are finally starting to reap benefits. It’s going to be a fun year for Vick and the Falcons.

Michael Vick

Mike Ritter
    assistant sports editor

My sleeper pick is former Wildcat running back Mike Bell of the Denver Broncos. While Bell will be working behind starter Travis Henry, head coach Mike Shanahan is notorious for using a dangerous 1-2 punch in the backfield, thanks to the Broncos’ unbelievable offensive line. Oh, and did I mention the Broncos are going to win the Super Bowl, too?

Mike Bell

Bobby Stover
    sports writer

Every single year there are so many sleeper picks on the fantasy shows and written in all the magazines. For those of you who shop at Staples, I am going to give you the easy button. It is Syndric Steptoe. Yeah, I said it, Syndric Steptoe. He will undoubtedly be available in the last round, and expect him to catch plenty of passes and a good amount of touchdowns. Oh, and don’t forget the returns.

Syndric Steptoe

Ari Wasserman
    sports writer