Crowd turns out for ASUA’s block party

Ernie Somoza
Ernie Somoza/ The Arizona Daily Wildcat ASUA and ASA threw a block party to watch the presidential debate live.The event featured a DJ and Radical Something Concert at Main Gate Square.

A crowd of people filled Geronimo Plaza on Wednesday evening for a viewing of the first presidential debate of the 2012 election.

The broadcast was part of the Associated Students of the University of Arizona’s Rad, White and Blue Block Party, which aimed to promote student voter registration along with providing entertainment for students. The Arizona Students’ Association also ran a table where students could register to vote.

Most students heard about the event through flyers that were handed out by ASUA. Many encouraged their friends to come with them; the sisters from Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority decided to all go to the block party together to support participation in the election.

“I think it’s really important for people our age, especially because all of us are old enough to vote now, that we do vote and that we know exactly what we’re voting for,” said Natalie Ramirez, an undeclared freshman and a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma, “and that we have our own opinions instead of just basing them off our parents’ opinions.”

As far as ASUA was concerned, the event, which had been in the making since May, was a success.

“I am beyond thrilled at the success of tonight’s event,” ASUA President Katy Murray said in a statement. “There were so many people watching the debate, registering to vote and viewing the concert. It’s great to see the campus community getting civically engaged and informed!”

After the debate, Tucson’s mayor, Jonathan Rothschild, spoke to students to encourage them to vote.

“I think the way we get a best democracy is getting as many people understanding what the issues are and then voting,” Rothschild said. “The things they [politicians] are talking about take years to happen. They are really talking about young people’s futures.”

Following the debate, California band Radical Something performed for nearly an hour in Main Gate Square. The block in front of Silver Mine Subs at the corner of University Boulevard and Tyndall Avenue was packed with concert-goers.

The band’s members said that they are registered voters and promoted their slogan, “juiced to vote,” throughout the concert.

“It’s very important for the youth to take advantage of the opportunity to vote because it’s our country and we are going to be living in it in the future,” said Loggy, one of the three band members, who prefered to go by stage name.

“It’s up to us to figure out what kind of America we want and what kind of leader we want,” Radical Something member Josh Cocktail said.