Calendar

Rilo Kiley isnt just eye candy. The rock band might be made up of two child stars - Jenny Lewis (Troop Beverly Hills) and Blake Sennett (Salute Your Shorts) - but the group is more than just TGIF castaways. Check it out on Tuesday, October 9 at the Rialto Theatre.
    Rilo Kiley isn’t just eye candy. The rock band might be made up of two child stars – Jenny Lewis (‘Troop Beverly Hills’) and Blake Sennett (‘Salute Your Shorts’) – but the group is more than just ‘TGIF’ castaways. Check it out on Tuesday, October 9 at the Rialto Theatre.

Today

2-D art show – This UA art student exhibition features paintings and drawings, among them an installation of cardboard stereotypes and an interesting piece called “”Butthole, All My Friends Are Licking It.”” It shows a person licking a giant ass with a television wearing a cowboy hat in the background. 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Free. Lionel Rombach Gallery

Tomorrow

UA Philharmonic Orchestra concert – Even though they’re playing Beethoven, this concert should at least be more interesting than listening to KUAT. Those announcers just sound so bored all the time. But the orchestra will spice things up by playing selections from more contemporary composers like Camille Saint-SaÇns and Howard Hanson. 7:30 p.m. Free. UA School of Music, Crowder Hall

Mostly Bears – Yeah, we give these guys a lot of press, but they deserve it. If not because of their melodic tunes, then because of their intriguing cartoon album cover of a woman with an umbilical cord penetrating her belly and leading to a pair of Siamese twins. And also their jaded MySpace tagline that reads, “”The only time we touch each other is when we hug.”” Now that’s clever. 9:45 pm. $5. Plush, 340 E. Sixth St.

Tucson Slavic Festival – This could be even cooler than the Greek Festival! It features lots of food, dance art, kids’ activities and hopefully another chance to witness a jumping castle. Friday, 4-9 p.m., Saturday, 2-9 p.m. $2. St. Melany’s Byzantine Catholic Church, 1212 N. Sahuara Ave.

Saturday

Responsible Dog Ownership Day – This is your chance to watch dogs playing flyball, showcasing agility, practicing obedience and performing canine freestyle. I actually have no idea what that means, but it can only be amazing. Go if your Scruffy’s dead and you miss him. 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Free. Reid Park

“”Dead Man”” – Johnny Depp is like the Salvador Dali of big-budget movies. Everywhere you turn, you find yet another piece of his you had no idea existed. And they’re always bizarre. This movie is a black-and-white western where a man accidentally murders someone, flees into the wilderness and finds an Indian named Nobody who thinks the man is an English poet. Neil Young did the soundtrack. Friday and Saturday, 10 p.m. $5. The Loft Cinema, 3233 E. Speedway Blvd.

Fall Club Crawl – Jesus Christ, not again. It’s the same bands; do we really need to see them twice a year? All right, we have some good ones this time. You can see They Might Be Giants, some band called Ph8, Mozart’s Sister (isn’t she dead?), Little Sisters of the Poor (not sure if it’s the same chick) Frida (Kahlo?) and my heroes, The Fuckin’ Kennies. 8 p.m. $10 at the door, but $3.7 million for a beer. Downtown and Fourth Avenue

Sunday

Oktoberfest 2007 – Ah yes, another chance to get drunk. But this one is cultured. You can eat German food, listen to music by a performing act called Helmut Kron and even be part of a raffle. Doors open at 5:30 p.m. $8 admission, $7-8 for a meal with reservation. Fraternal Order of Police Lodge, 3445 N. Dodge Blvd.

Longfellow reads Longfellow – An ancestor of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow will read some of the elder’s poetry, accompanied by a flutist. This means both English nerds and band nerds might be in attendance; don’t forget to wear your crocs! 3-4 p.m. $10 at Paper Patch, 2920 N. Swan Road. Event at San Pedro Chapel, 5230 E. Fort Lowell Road

Monday

“”Autism: The Musical”” – This movie is about autistic children who are learning to interact by performing in a musical. Apparently, it shows “”hope and despair”” and is “”inspirational,”” but I think Oprah might have done the review. Monday through Wednesday, $8.50. The Loft Cinema, 3233 E. Speedway Blvd.

Tuesday

Rilo Kiley – If you’re a guy, you’re going to go because you want to screw Jenny Lewis. If you’re a girl, you’re going to go because you want to screw one of the guys who want to screw Jenny Lewis. If you’re anyone else, go for the music. 8 p.m. $20 in advance, $21 at the door. Rialto Theatre, 318. E. Congress St.

Wednesday

Devendra Banhart – This is the guy you may recognize from the MySpace homepage who’s wearing a golden bikini with grapes on his crotch, a bow tie and tons of makeup over his bearded face. It makes him look less like an Indie-folk star and more like an Amish drag queen during the Great Depression. Unfortunately, his music is less bizarre. 8 p.m. $21 in advance, $23 day of show. Rialto Theatre, 318 E. Congress St.

Radiohead album comes out – I mention this, of course, because I’m going to be doing absolutely nothing else that day but listening to it. Obviously. In case you didn’t know, Radiohead is giving out its new album, In Rainbows, for free if you download it from the group’s Web site. So now all you critics will have one more chance to let Radiohead win you over, be it at your own demise. All day. Free. The Internet, 318 E. Earth St.

compiled by Andi Berlin