Softball sweeps Fall Tournament

The defending NCAA champion Arizona softball team saw its first action of the preseason this weekend, sweeping four junior colleges and New Mexico in the Arizona Fall Tournament at Hillenbrand Stadium.

The Wildcats were on cruise control for the first four matchups of the series, as they had three run-rule-shortened affairs while outscoring their opponents 42-3 in that span.

In the fifth game, Arizona didn’t run-rule its opponent, but the team was given their first real competition against the defending junior college national champions Pima College, led by former UA assistant coach Stacy Iveson.

“”(Friday) we came out and we made five errors,”” Arizona head coach Mike Candrea said. “”That was just unacceptable, and they know that. The last four games we played, I was pleased with the way we pitched, the way we played defense and the way we swung the bats.””

The Wildcats scored one in the first and one in the third against the Aztecs yesterday, and that was all they needed, as pitcher Taryne Mowatt took a no-hit bid into the seventh.

Pima designated player Lisette Cota hit a single down the third-base line to lead off the inning, but that was all the hitting the Aztecs received, and Arizona recorded its fifth victory and third shutout of the weekend, winning 2-0.

The series featured eight Arizona newcomers, including touted freshmen third baseman Sarah Akamine, left fielder K’Lee Arredondo, and pitcher Amanda Williams.

Williams is expected to be the future of Arizona pitching, following in the footsteps of Alicia Hollowell, Jennie Finch and Nancy Evans before her.

Williams lived up to her expectations in the tournament, going 3-0, allowing only one hit and no runs in three starts.

Arredondo, who is expected to take Autumn Champion’s place in left field and in the lineup, had a strong debut, hitting .385 with three home runs in only 13 at-bats.

“”Arredondo really impressed me this weekend,”” Candrea said. “”She had power from both the left and the right side, and she did the little things to move runners, which is what it’s all about.””

Arredondo was slotted second in the lineup, right where Champion was for the last four years, and the new left fielder said she will enjoy hitting in between two All-Americans in seniors Caitlin Lowe and Kristie Fox.

“”I kind of felt a lot of pressure, but right now I’m just having fun,”” Arredondo said. “”I know Cait’s always going to get on, and I know if I get on, then Kris can hit her in, because that’s what Kristie does. It’s really fun as a freshman to be able to bat second and be there.””

Candrea said he is pleased with the results so far, but added that his team has to be process-oriented, not results-oriented.

“”I’m happy right now at this point,”” he said. “”It’s time to go to work and get ready for February. I look overall, and I think this team’s got a shot at being pretty good.

“”How good? Time will tell.””

Rounding the bases

Before taking down Pima, the Wildcats beat Arizona Western 10-2 on Friday, New Mexico 9-1 in five innings and Central Arizona 9-0 in five on Saturday and the Hum-Babe Cats 14-0 in five innings yesterday.