Police looking for suspect in on-campus sexual assault case

A student was sexually assaulted early yesterday morning at a UA residence hall, and the suspect is still on the loose, according to the University of Arizona Police Department.

The sexual assault took place at Manzanita-Mohave Residence Hall around 2:41 a.m., when a female student was confronted by the attacker, said Sgt. Eugene Mejia, UAPD spokesman.

“”We can confirm there was an incident of sexual assault,”” Mejia said. “”It appears it was a trespasser, a stranger.””

Police are looking for a black male in his late 30s, described as thin, Mejia said. The man may have a one-day growth of a beard and does not have a mustache. He was wearing dark clothing at the time.

The Arizona Daily Wildcat’s policy is to withhold the identity of victims of sexual assualt.

If anyone saw or heard anything that could possibly help the investigation, Mejia said not to question whether or not it could be important, but to call 911. Small clues can add up and reporting what you see makes a difference, he said.

“”With no one calling, we (UAPD) missed the opportunity to keep the campus safe,”” Mejia said. “”We don’t know how long this person was hanging around this residence hall.””

The security of the residence halls are challenged by the students living there because they do not report suspicious people, they allow strangers to follow them inside and they allow people in who do not have a key, Mejia said.

Sexual assault is traumatic for any victim, and places like the OASIS Program can help but cannot take away the experience, he said.

Police are asking on-campus residents to keep their doors and windows locked, use the buddy system at night and tell someone when they are leaving so friends can alert authorities if they do not return, Mejia said.

Anyone with information on the incident or suspect should call 911. To remain anonymous, call 88-CRIME.

“”We all play a part in keeping our campus safe,”” Mejia said.

Calls to the director of Manzanita-Mohave were not returned as of press time.