Calendar

Flyleaf will be rocking The Rock tonight all for your musical pleasure. They are worth the watching, at least because the lead singer is like taking Mary-Kate Olsen and making her hot.

Today

• Flyleaf – They’re “”perfect in weakness,”” or so sings the incredibly adorable, hardcore beauty Lacey Mosley. The rest of us just say they’re the best thing to happen to the hardcore scene since the Deftones, but that’s just my biased opinion. 7 p.m. $15. The Rock, 136 N. Park Ave. (21+)
  • Love Letters – A.R. Gurney’s drama told through love letters exchanged by two people over a lifetime. It’s like getting to read your grandparent’s raunchy letters, which is cool after you get over the creepy factor. 8 p.m. $35 to $150. Fox Tucson Theatre, 17 W. Congress St.
  • Swan Lake – The Moscow Festival has brought this classic ballet, which tells the German folktale of a princess turned into a swan by an evil sorcerer. I guess that’s kinky if you’re into the whole bestiality thing. Either way, the lead ballerina has to stretch in some amazing positions to dance like a swan would. 7:30 p.m. $10 to $53, Centennial Hall
  • Tomorrow

• Battle of the Bands – This contest is hosted by the Arizona Daily Star, and the finalists are The Watchmen, Kool Shades, The Thesis, Paul Revere, Jon and Jeff and Grandpa Moses. Watch local bands perform on the largest stage they’ll ever see. 7 p.m. Free, donations welcome. Rialto Theatre, 318 E. Congress St.

Saturday

• The Beta Sweat – This major Tucson rock band is playing with Hell on Heels, wild-haired garage punk girls from Phoenix, and The Mission Creeps, really old guys who still unbutton their shirts on stage to rockabilly rhythms. If nothing else, watching the bands bop around is entertainment enough. 9:30 p.m. $5. Plush, 340 E. Sixth St. (21+)
  • The Red Concert – The UA Dance Ensemble performs a short show inspired by Shakespeare’s quote “”If music be the food of love, play on, play on.”” The concert packs a swift-punch, and it should be interesting to watch an entire menagerie of dance numbers inspired by 11 words. 7:30 p.m. $17. Stevie Eller Dance Theatre
  • Mr. Wildcat: Calendar Boys – Watch the 12 Wildcat Calendar Boys compete for the ultimate title of Mr. Wildcat 2007. The winner gets banged by every shallow girl in the audience. By banged I mean shot down when they say, “”Hey, I’m Mr. Wildcat 2007, wanna go out sometime?”” 5 p.m. Free. Student Union Memorial Center, Grand Ballroom.
  • Sunday

• The Octopus Project – Experimental pop stars will perform new songs off their latest CD The House of Apples and Eyeballs. Now doesn’t that sound yummy? With Musica Obscura and Mostly Bears. 9 p.m. $6. Plush, 340 E. Sixth St. (21+)

Monday

• Flock of Dodos – In celebration of Darwin Day (Charles Darwin’s birthday) “”Flock of Dodos: The Evolution-Intelligent Design Circus,”” the first feature documentary to explore both sides of the evolution vs. intelligent design controversy will be playing, followed by a panel discussion with local evolutionary science experts. Dodo filmmaker Randy Olson says “”Wake up and smell the dodo!”” 7:30 p.m. $5. The Loft Cinema, 3233 E. Speedway Blvd.

Tuesday

• Black Cherry Burlesque – This is a singing and dancing burlesque show, just like the old days of Bettie Page and Marilyn Monroe! No really, this is a respectable way to spend your Tuesday night. 10 p.m. $5. The Surly Wench, 424 N. Fourth Ave. (21+)

Wednesday

• Love Bites! – A special Valentine’s presentation with cinematic evidence of why Valentine’s Day sucks. First watch a slew of classic ’80’s music videos that “”give love a bad name.”” Then watch venereal disease scare films of the ’50s and ’60s; including the aptly titled “”VD is for everyone!”” Top off the night with a screening of the 1981 slasher film “”My Bloody Valentine”” and don’t forget to pig out on the broken heart cupcakes in the lobby-screw getting fat, no one is going to see you naked this Valentine’s Day. 7:30 p.m. $5. The Loft Cinema, 3233 E. Speedway Blvd.
  • Of Montreal – The lead singer of this eccentric band likes to appear onstage in wedding gowns and wear makeup that would make even David Bowie jealous. Apparently he is married though – I’m sure that was an interesting wedding. With Ariel Pink and DJ Matt McCoy. 8 p.m. $12 advance, $13 day of show. The Rialto Theatre, 318 E. Congress St.
  • – compiled by Alexandria Kassman