Alumni staff picks

Best Wildcat sports memory

Being away from Tucson for four months has me going through withdrawals worse than Nicole Richie. Not to mention it’s Wednesday and I’m sober. The “”real world”” is not all it’s cracked up to be. In the words of Billy Madison, “”stay here, stay here as long as you can.”” Watching the Arizona baseball team in Omaha in 2004 was the apex of my Arizona sports memories, and there are only two things that could top it: watching a baseball national title and a … Roas Boll … Roos Bul … Rose Bowl – sorry, that was a lot harder to get out than I thought.

-Charles Renning, former sports editor

My first semester, Dick Tomey had a top-20 team with a 5-1 record. Life was good. Five consecutive losses later, Tomey was gone, so was a bowl game, and *…well… now I feel old for referencing Dick Tomey.
    My favorite UA sports moment hasn’t happened yet. Sure, Arizona will always be a basketball school. But I long for the day I can book a trip to El Paso or Las Vegas or – dare I say – Pasadena.
    Dear Santa: Six wins and a lower-tier bowl, please?

Brett Fera, former editor in chief, former sports editor

That’s easy – Andrew Walter lying facedown on the turf of Arizona Stadium. Two years ago, ASU came to Tucson ranked 18th and talking Holiday Bowl, until the UA defense forced five turnovers, blew Walter’s shoulder and sent the Devils packing to El Paso. The ASU players coped with the loss by crying (Walter) or shooting each other (Loren Wade), while the cheerleaders moved on to starring in porn films. You stay classy, Tempe.
    UA 34, ASU 27 (11/26/2004)

Justin St. Germain, former sports editor

Cal at Arizona

Watching Arizona football has been a lot like watching NBC’s “”Friday Night Lights.”” Each week I tune in expecting it to be good. There’s no reason it shouldn’t be, but every week I leave disappointed. The show’s the same thing as “”Varsity Blues”” and “”Friday Night Lights”” the movie, while the football team’s been the same since 1998. They get one big win a year (see California 2002, Washington 2003, ASU 2004, UCLA 2005 and Washington State last week). Just like “”FNL,”” I’m not watching this week and hoping I miss something great.
    Cal 31, Arizona 10

-Charles Renning, former sports editor

In 2001, Cal finished 1-10, defeating only a two-win Rutgers team. Now both are eyeing BCS bowls, and Arizona is still “”almost”” mediocre.
    No, I’m not bitter.
    I am confused, though, about the reaction to Chris Henry’s 35-carry, 94-yard performance last week at Washington State. Do the math. That’s 2.7 yards per carry – or nearly a half-yard less than his already mediocre season average.
    But hey, it’s Homecoming, so I guess I’ll start drinking the Kool-Aid too.
    Arizona 20, Cal 13

I’m missing my first Homecoming in seven years because my friend (and former Wildcat sports reporter) Chris Wuensch is getting married tomorrow. I would say that’s good luck for Arizona, if he hadn’t proposed right before the basket Cats lost to Wazzu at home for the first time in 19 years. Still, it’s Homecoming – I’m not picking against Arizona. We’ll have two reasons to celebrate come tomorrow. (Congratulations, Chris and Dana!)
    Arizona 28, Cal 24

Arizona Basketball
    2006-07 outlook

This is what I hate most about Tucson: It’s only November and all anyone can think or talk about is March, which reminds me, spring training is less than four months away. The Arizona basketball team is loaded again (or so I hear). I like the freshman Chase Budinger (I had to look up the spelling of his name, which tells you how far removed from Wildcat hoops I am), because he looks a lot like my friend Dave. I guess I go with the homer pick here, Cats will win the national title. Congrats, Dave – I mean Chase.
    National Champions

-Charles Renning, former sports editor

I love Ivan Radenovic. He’s the ultimate “”that guy.”” You know, that nearly invisible, acne-ridden high school brainiac who, by his junior year, ends up a stud athlete driving the coolest car and dating the most popular girl. Watching Radenovic’s “”that guy”” metamorphosis over the years has been inspirational to say the least. I only wish I could be as cool as you, Ivan, so you go get yourself that All-Pac-10 nod and hey, how ’bout a Final Four bid for good measure?
    Pac-10 Champs, loss in national semifinals

Let me get this straight: after years and years of complaining about not having a student section, you finally get one, and now nobody goes to games? Here’s a friendly suggestion on behalf of the alumni – get your asses in those seats and appreciate the opportunity to watch a Final Four team play. Does Mustafa Shakur remind anybody else of Jason Terry? Here’s hoping he has a similar senior season.
    Final Four