UA volleyball recruit wins award for best setter

After a subpar season, the Arizona women’s volleyball team, which finished 13-17, 4-14 in the Pacific 10 Conference, has a reason to keep its chin up because it will boast the skills of incoming freshman Paige Weber in the fall.

Weber won the 2006 Andi Collins Award, recognizing the nation’s best high school senior setter, Arizona Athletics announced yesterday. She was also named the 2006 Gatorade Player of the Year for the state of Indiana.

“”It was interesting because early on she didn’t want to go away from home,”” UA head coach Dave Rubio said of the 5-foot-11 setter from Indianapolis. “”She was initially attracted to a lot of the Big 10 Conference teams. We were surprised when she decided to come out (to Arizona) to take a visit but we’re very happy she did.””

Weber played with the Circle City Volleyball Club at Indianapolis Roncalli High School.

She helped Indianapolis Roncalli claim the 2006 state championship, posting 40 assists, 11 kills to just one error, 15 digs, five service aces, and eight blocks in the championship match, extending her team’s winning streak to 23 matches to end the season.

Rubio began looking at Weber before her junior year in high school, when she committed to Arizona. She had all of the traits of a great player even then, Rubio said.

“”There are so many attributes that a setter has to have,”” he said. “”You have to have great intensity and competitiveness as well as terrific charisma on the floor and those are some of the things that stand out about Paige.””

Those traits that Weber possesses are very similar to the traits that former Wildcat Dana Burkholder – a two-time All American and Pac-10 Player of the Year – had, Rubio said.

As for Weber’s prestige as a high school player, Rubio said he knew it all along.

“”I always felt that Paige was the number one setter, and it’s nice to have other people validate that,”” he said. “”It brings great notoriety to the program. Regardless of the accolades, coming in and playing for this team determines the ability of the player.””