Mailbag

Wildcat correct to defend its integrity
    After days of observing the Daily Wildcat prostrate before the pitchfork-wielding mob, stumbling around in the media circus legitimizing the irrational knee-jerk reactions to the recent controversial comic, it is refreshing to see the paper take a definitive stance in defense of its journalistic autonomy. As Livy remarked, “”Resistance to criminal rashness comes better late than never.””

Aaron Ho
    molecular and cellular biology senior

ASUA should promote students, not views on politics or censorship
    When receiving an e-mail from a representative of the Associated Students of the University of Arizona, I would expect that e-mail to be of importance to the student body as a whole, talking about opportunities for UA students, or talking about programs that ASUA is putting on. I would never expect an e-mail that is politically motivated, taking a side on a controversial issue and biased toward one political school of thought.

That is why I am so upset when I received an e-mail from the Associate Director and Adviser of ASUA, an e-mail that many students received, about a rally on the Mall on Wednesday. As a representative of the student body, ASUA must maintain its integrity in order to be respected by those students whom they represent. Organizing and promoting a rally with clear political motivations is disturbing, and not recognizing the independence of the press and free-thinking is even more shocking. This rally is centered on two things which ASUA needs to remain out of association with: the celebration of our elected president, and a rally against the Wildcat.

Despite publishing a controversial cartoon in the paper, the Wildcat is flexing its freedom and independence from the political narrow-mindedness that seems to run rampant at ASUA. The rally is promoting the “”mandatory”” diversity training of all Wildcat employees. How is the Wildcat supposed to uphold its integrity and freedom of the press if it subjects its employees to mandatory diversity training because the ASUA deems the cartoon insulting? ASUA needs to remain out of the realm of politics and leave that up to our respective political clubs who don’t claim to represent the student body as a whole. It is disturbing to me that the leadership in ASUA hasn’t taken a clear stance on this issue, and is letting things like this happen.

Scott Smith
    business economics senior

Being human means making mistakes
    In lieu of all this comic outrage, I am reminded of George Orwell’s assertion: “”Freedom is the right to tell people what they don’t want to hear.”” We are not a color-blind society. We are of different backgrounds and viewpoints. We do not know how to interact properly or how to express ourselves without hurting others. We do make clerical errors and will always fall short of society’s expectations. We are not as evolved as we would like to believe. We are fallible and we remain imperfect. But as long as we maintain the freedom to search for a better tomorrow and the freedom to criticize even the most sensitive of topics, we push society forward. We create a marketplace of ideas; we expand our minds. This freedom keeps us from being beasts. Why are we yelling at the top of our lungs that we are right, when we gain so much more from talking about why we might be wrong? We must build tomorrow with the knowledge of our mistakes, not spite those who made them.

Zachary Smith
    psychology junior

President-elect Obama should embrace his ‘white’ heritage
    Last Tuesday, the American people elected the “”first black president”” of the United States. The question I would like to raise is this: Why are we not referring to him as the “”44th white president”” of the United States? Barack Obama’s mother, who raised him, was white and therefore he is genetically just as much white as he is black! Could it be that it was of higher political advantage to his campaign to only present himself as black?

Over the course of the election season, I was repeatedly shocked at how many people I spoke to who were voting for Obama only because he is “”black.”” I constantly hounded my black friends for answers, and not a single one could tell me one thing about Barack Obama’s politics. One particular friend of mine said, and I quote, “”It’s just time to get a brotha in the White House, it’s just time to elect a brotha.”” Now it’s a wonder to me that because I disagree with Obama’s politics, I have been called a racist when countless black people out there voted for someone based entirely on his race. Of course, not everyone who voted for Obama is a racist but the ones I spoke to, like my aforementioned friend who blatantly told me they were casting their vote based on the color of Mr. Obama’s skin, are certainly displaying that racism is truly still a part of American society – especially racism against white people. Do we now live in such a condescending society that a man may lose a presidential election for identifying with his white heritage? For being truthful about who he really is? Come on, Barack! Stand up and be proud of who you are! Half white!

Bethany Fourmy
    microbiology senior