King County deputies kill machete-wielding man late Saturday

A 19-year-old man brandishing a machete was shot and killed by King County sheriff’s deputies Saturday night near Buckley.

The man had three arrest warrants for traffic-related offenses and was flagged on a state computer database as “”potentially dangerous to officers”” for previous threats to kill police, said Sgt. John Urquhart. Authorities have not released his name.

The incident that led to the shooting began when Buckley police pursued a car into the Cumberland area of Southeast King CountyKing County deputies took over the chase and found the suspect’s unoccupied car on a rural road near Ravensdale, where the man lived. A deputy in another car then spotted the suspect carrying a machete on Retreat-Kanaskat Road, near Retreat Lake.

Urquhart said the suspect “”slashed down on the hood”” of the deputy’s patrol car with the machete. The deputy called for backup, but even after additional officers arrived, the man refused to drop the weapon, Urquhart said. Two deputies fired Tasers at the suspect, but Urquhart said either the Tasers missed or did not have any effect .

Three deputies then fired on the man, Urquhart said. The suspect collapsed after being struck several times. The deputies began lifesaving measures, including CPR. The Maple Valley Fire Department took over those efforts, but discontinued them at 12:05 a.m. when it was clear the man was dead, Urquhart said.

He said the three deputies involved in the shooting have been placed on administrative leave, which is standard after such an incident.