POBEAT 11/27/17

Alex McIntyre
    A University of Arizona Police Department officer makes a call while standing by near the Koffler building on the UA campus.

Seat Smack Down

Punches were thrown in Modern Languages room 401 on Nov. 15 at 4 p.m. when two male students began fighting, prompting a police response.

The first student walked into his Spanish class and sat down at a desk. The desk had a notebook on it, which he moved. Another student, the owner of the notebook who had left to go to the bathroom, walked into the room and told him to get out of his seat.

The first student refused, stating he could just move to another desk, prompting the second student to call him a “bitch.”

“Don’t call me a bitch,” the first student responded.

Both of them exchanged insults, and the second student attempted to punch the first student in the face. He dodged, and put the second student in a headlock.

They both rolled around on the ground, the first student punching the second in the face multiple times. Other classmates attempted to break the fight up, but couldn’t.

After the police were called, the first student stated he did not want to press assault charges. Both students were issued a code of conduct violation to the Dean of Students. 

Both males shook hands and agreed not to have any contact with each other in the class. 

Lover’s Quarrel 

A fight broke out in front of the Main Library on Nov. 15 at around 11:30 p.m., prompting a response from four police officers.

A male and a female, both roommates and a new couple, were walking into the library when the ex-boyfriend of the female “came out of nowhere” and yelled, “Hey, I thought you were going home!”

The ex punched the new boyfriend in the chest and face with a closed fist. The girlfriend got in between them, holding her ex back. 

The ex, who is also a roommate of the couple, dated the female for five years before they broke up five days prior to this incident. He told police he had suspected something was going on between the other two roommates, but they denied it each time he asked. At the time of the incident, he was sleeping on the couch in their house while his ex was sleeping in their previously shared room. 

“You betrayed me,” he shouted to the new boyfriend. “I thought you were my friend.” 

The ex then called the female a slut, and said her new boyfriend was going to play her because “he does not like you” and threatened to tell her family what was going on. 

Eventually the ex calmed down, and responding police officers confirmed no medical attention was needed.

They have all been living together for two years, which resulted in the ex being arrested for domestic violence – assault.