The Spectrum

“”Harry Potter”” release party

Why is it that people talk about the “”Harry Potter”” characters like they’re celebrities and the book is some gruesome reality T.V. show? Instead of “”Who will eat the most live worms?”” or “”Who will get kicked off the island first?”” it’s “”Who’s going to die this time?”” Why do people have to die to sell more copies? Anyway, enough of the conspiracy theories. Go to this release party at the bookstore. You’ll be the hippest person on campus at midnight wearing a wizard hat. Friday night, Saturday morning. 10 p.m. to 1 a.m. Free, UA Bookstore

Mostly Bears CD release party

Hopefully, this release party will be a little hipper than the former. Mostly because Mostly Bears is one of the hippest local acts around right now. Did you see I put in that “”mostly”” pun? Good one, eh, that’s journalism. Mostly Bears has been compared to some pretty cool acts like Animal Collective, Radiohead and the Mars Volta, though. But then again, so has Coldplay. The only way to tell for sure is to go see the group before it explodes into the scene and gets compared to even hipper acts like Kraftwerk or something. That’s how you know you’re moving up. Friday, 8:30 p.m. $5. Club Congress, 311 E. Congress St.

“”E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial””

Whatever happened to this movie? People used to make jokes off it all of the time, but then it just disappeared. Is it even nostalgia anymore, or has it lapsed once again into that taboo category where all the cool retro things go after they’ve been over-buzzed and tattered out into clichǸs. I kind of miss all those “”phone home”” jokes and talks about Drew Barrymore being hotter now. So does the Fox Theatre I guess, because they’re playing it for a dollar this Saturday. Go see it and recapture that fake feeling of being counter-culture. Saturday. 11 a.m. $1. The Fox Theatre, 17 W. Congress Street.

“”Bark! The Musical””

You can imagine how excited I was when I discovered that this musical was not about trees, but about the all the more fascinating member of the wildlife spectrum: dogs. Unfortunately, all the actors playing the dogs are in fact humans. Too bad. It would have been cool to relive that “”Pets on Parade”” sensation of the ’90s. And even worse, these human actors don’t even dress up like dogs! They just wear regular clothes and put a little brown makeup on their noses. Maybe it’s an art production or something, but whatever. Friday, Saturday, 8 p.m. Sunday, 2 p.m. $20 – 27. Beowulf Alley Theatre, 11 S. Sixth Ave.

Bob Dylan

It seems like this guy is coming here once a week now. What’s with that? Maybe he just really likes to eat at Mi Nidito or something. Let’s do an exercise: If you were Bob Dylan, where would you go to eat after your concert? I’ve got my bets on Kababeque or Anthony’s in the Foothills, but I could be wrong. Keep in mind, the show is all the way over at Casino Del Sol, so all bets are off. To be safe, just go somewhere in Tucson. It’ll probably have to be somewhere cheap though, since tickets are so freaking expensive. Tuesday, 7:30 p.m. $39.50 – $75. Casino Del Sol, 5655 W. Valencia Road.

– compiled by Andi Berlin