Thousands still without power after tornadoes hit North Texas

About 22,000 customers were still without power Tuesday morning after four tornadoes touched down in North Texas early Monday.

The highest concentration of outages were reported in Cleburne and Waxahachie, where gusting winds downed power lines, knocked over poles and damaged two steel transmission towers, Oncor spokeswoman Megan Wright said.

Some outages might last until Wednesday night, Wright said.

Additional crew members and other resources have been brought in from Oklahoma Gas & Electric Company and a Houston-based utility provider, Wright said.

United Cooperative Servives, a utility provider based in Cleburne that serves more than 54,000 customers in counties such as Johnson, Bosque, Hood and Tarrant, reported about 7,500 outages Monday morning, spokesman Marty Haught said.

The areas that suffered the most outages include Alvarado in Johnson County as well as Meridian and Cranfills Gap in Bosque County, Haught said.

The number of outages was reduced to about 67 in the Meridian area by 8 a.m. Tuesday, Haught said.

Crews were slowed in making repairs by fallen trees and other debris on the ground, Haught said.

Four tornadoes with a rating of EF-1 were confirmed in Johnson, Kaufman and Hunt counties, causing a moderate amount of damage, according to a statement from the National Weather Service.

Straight-line winds were also reported in Bosque, Dallas and Ellis counties, according to the statement.