Police Beat: December 5

Just horsing around

University of Arizona Police Department officers responded to a possible mugging at Campbell Avenue and University Boulevard on Nov. 30. The person who reported the incident was driving when he thought he saw a long-haired blond man mug another man and him into some bushes.
    When officers arrived, they saw a blond woman tying her shoe in the dirt next to the bushes as a man waited for her. They both identified themselves with Arizona driver’s licenses.

Officers then separated and questioned the two suspects. The non-UA-affiliated couple, who had been dating for three months, were walking to the man’s sister’s house on 36th Street and Campbell Avenue after being kicked out of their apartment. The man denied any physical contact.

The woman had urinated herself, was coated in dirt, had bloodshot eyes and complained of bug bites. She was also intoxicated, which upset the man since she was taking depression medication.
    The two said that before the police arrived, they’d argued before making up and horsing around. Neither of them had any bruises or scratches as evidence of the alleged fight.

Although the incident was originally reported as violent physical contact, police determined it to be horseplay. The two were told to be more aware of their actions in the future and then released.

No car, no trace, no happy mother

A black Honda CR-V was stolen from a campus parking lot at around 10 a.m. on Nov. 30. The student who reported the theft told officers he had last seen the vehicle, which was his mother’s, two hours earlier, before he walked to class. When he returned, it was gone.

No evidence of broken glass or a theft was left in the area. The car, which had no distinguishing marks or characteristics, had a designated permit for the lot, and both doors had been locked when the student left.
    He told his mother what had happened, and was given a completed UAPD stolen vehicle agreement and affidavit. The man added he wanted to take part in judicial proceedings if a suspect was found. There were no witnesses.

Another day, another fraud

UAPD met with a university employee who had received fraudulent charges of $125.71 from Notre Dame, Holland. UAPD spoke with the woman to document the fraud on Nov. 29, after she received a notification from her bank that a charge was made using her card at the Hilton International hotel in Notre Dame.

Originally, the woman believed the expense was from a recent trip to Holland, but later she was able to confirm that she hadn’t stayed at the hotel on that date.

The woman said she was the only person authorized to use the credit card and that she kept it on her at all times. The card was then verified as fraudulent and the woman destroyed it.

A copy of the fraudulent charge letter was placed in UAPD evidence.