CD Review: Melissa Etheridge

Albums usually fall into one emotional category, such as “”feel good,”” “”heavy”” or “”relaxing.”” Yet it’s safe to say Melissa Etheridge’s latest release, The Awakening, captures all the emotions one feels in a day, a week or even a year. It’s painfully and peacefully clear that the songs on this rock veteran’s CD are the culmination of the emotional journey she found herself on soon after being diagnosed with cancer.

Reflective and poignant, there is something in this album for everyone to grab onto. Etheridge encourages friends and fans alike to take an hour, be still and enjoy the music.

Her soulful voice lends itself to smoldering, bluesy tracks like “”An Unexpected Rain.”” The album’s first single, “”Message to Myself,”” demonstrates the artist’s anthem appeal, preaches an important message and also includes some unfortunate sha-la-la-la’s.

The tail end of the album is a bit of a downer. That’s the part that falls into the “”heavy”” category. The last three songs all carry a sorrowful tone, yet somehow still seem to keep the listener’s attention.

It’s safe to say there are no senseless pop songs on this album. Every song is rich with poetic meaning. Etheridge sets out on a journey for peace and fearlessness, and her latest composition full of songs about sexuality, God and global change leads to her final destination.

– Carissa Grubbs