Police Beat: Apr. 11

Going down together

University of Arizona Police Department officers were doing a security check on doors near the Highland Market at 3 a.m. on Saturday when they witnessed two students, one male and one female, stumbling as they tried to walk into the market. Officers went inside the market and asked the students if they were OK. The man told officers he fell because his companion was about to, and he wanted to help.

Officers noticed the smell of alcohol coming from their breath and that they had red, watery eyes. The officers then asked the students to step outside so they could ask them more questions. The officers asked the students for identification, and as the students handed over their IDs, they told the officers that they were under 21. When the officers asked where the students had been drinking earlier that night, the man said, “We were drinking earlier at a friend’s house and she had about three shots of vodka.”

Officers asked if they needed medical attention, but both said they did not. Officers cited both students for minor in possession of alcohol in body and released them. The woman went to Colonia de la Paz Residence Hall and the man took a taxi to his house.

Cold case remains open

A UA professor of immunology finished lecturing a class and walked back to his office at the University of Arizona Medical Center on Friday at 1:13 p.m. He reported that he went into his lab and began conducting research.

Inside the lab were four 4-foot tall metal containers full of liquid nitrogen, which he uses for his research to keep samples frozen. He walked over to the tubes to check their pressure and noticed that one of them did not have its cap on, which was causing liquid nitrogen to seep out slowly. The professor told the police that someone has to physically remove the cap in order for the nitrogen to come out and that he has never intentionally removed the cap.

According to the police report, nothing was damaged. There were also no forced entry points on the door. The police believe the door was left open or unlocked at some point.

Roommate says no to drugs

A student from Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall saw marijuana on her roommate’s desk and told the resident assistant on Friday at 5:40 p.m. She photographed the marijuana and then contacted UAPD.

Officers asked the RA to direct them to the room. When they entered, both girls were inside. Officers noted that they were both very upset, and asked the student who reported the incident to leave the room and speak with another officer.

Officers then told the roommate that she had been called on because there was marijuana on her desk. Officers noted in the report that there was no longer any marijuana visible to the public eye. The student told officers that her roommate had thrown the marijuana in the trash. Officers searched the trash and found the unsmoked joint, and cited the roommate for possession of marijuana.

The student who reported the incident told the RA that she would like to move out of the room as soon as possible. Officers asked both women if they would be civil to each other, and both responded yes. The marijuana was placed into UAPD Property and Evidence and the roommate was referred to the dean of students.