Vendors celebrate horror at Tucson Terrorfest’s fourth year

Korayma Lamadrid
AJ ov Algol owner, AJ Kingström, sells handmade lamps, jewelry and wall decor made of bones he found in the desert at the 2023 Tucson Terrorfest convention, held at 191 E. Toole Ave.

About 40 vendors filled the dimly lit venue selling oddities such as taxidermy art, goth jewelry, blood-covered dolls and spooky baked goods. 

This past weekend, horror obsessed fans attended the Tucson Terrorfest Horror Convention held at 191 E. Toole Ave.  

The event also featured an independent-horror film festival, which showed movie screenings at 127 E. Congress St.

Debut author Jes Pan sells her horror novel, “Sonder,” at the 2023 Tucson Tefforfest convention. (Korayma Lamadrid)

The Terrrorfest had vendors from all over Arizona, some of which included: Wooden Tooth Records, Eldritch Scum, Goth Geek and SweetNess Bakery.

First-time Phoenix author Jes Pan debuted their sapphic horror novel, “Sonder.” The novel is about a teen love story between two girls, where one of the girls secretly dreams about being a murderer. 

Pan first got the idea when they worked with teens at a library. They often wondered if one of the teens secretly wanted to be the next Ted Bundy, they said. 

This was Pan’s first time at the Tucson Terrorfest and they were excited to talk about their book to attendees. 

“The Terrorfest is small and intimate so it’s easier to talk to people one-on-one. When you’re an up and coming author it’s important to talk to people,” Pan said. 

Right in front of Pan’s table, Corpse Flower was also attending its first Terrorfest. 

The owner of Corpse Flower, Nix Cabreia, buys vintage baby dolls and gives them a spooky makeover. They have been collecting vintage dolls for about three years. 

After experiencing some “creepy things” like a microwave and Bluetooth speaker turning on at random times, they decided to give the dolls a personal touch in hopes to feel safer in their home. 

Corpse Flower owner, Nix Cabreia, sells vintage baby dolls at the 2023 Tucson Terrorfest convention. (Korayma Lamadrid)

After personalizing the dolls, “their energy would feel so much better, so it would make me feel better,” Cabreia said. 

Across the venue, AJ ov Algol, displayed animal bone heads, spins and tails. Owner and Tucson native AJ Ringström finds and uses bones found from all over the Tucson desert to make lamps, jewelry and wall décor. 

Ringström’s interest in bones first began as a child and it has gradually grown into a business and hobby. He began taking his art seriously four years ago. 

Ringström sells his art online and in person, but prefers vending at markets and conventions like the Terrorfest. Most of his art is fragile which becomes an obstacle when shipping, he said. 

Tucson Terrorfest’s co-owner, Michael Olivares, started the horror convention because Tucson did not have anything like it.

“It’s important to build these spaces for the communities to gather and to grow,” Olivares said. 

Olivares hopes the Terrorfest grows in the future. He said he is looking to make more space next year, so more vendors and attendees can attend the horror convention.

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Instagram and Twitter/X