Police notify campus community of nearby shooting

Lexi Horsey
The University of Arizona Police Department on Wednesday, Oct. 2, 2019, in Tucson.

The University of Arizona Police Department alerted the campus community to an off-campus shooting near Florita Street and Santa Rita Avenue on the morning of Feb. 17.

The first UAlert message was sent at 1:41 a.m., reporting the shooting and notifying people to avoid the area.

Community members were notified at 1:47 a.m. that law enforcement was on the scene, and to continue avoiding the area. 

At 2 a.m., UAlert messages notified community members that there were no reported injuries and to continue avoiding the area. 

19 minutes later, a UAlert described the suspected individual as a tall Black male with dreadlocks.

At 2:26 a.m., the suspect was believed to have left the scene in a dark-colored Cadillac or Infiniti car, with the suspect’s whereabouts unclear.

Law enforcement remained on the scene after the suspect fled, and at 2:57 a.m. a UAlert was sent stating there was no ongoing threat. The messages continued until 3:02 a.m., when the final message referred individuals who had been impacted to university and community resources

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Instagram and Twitter/X