The Student News Site of University of Arizona

The Daily Wildcat

95° Tucson, AZ

The Daily Wildcat

The Daily Wildcat


Electrical overload causes fire in Coronado


Ryan Revock/ Daily Wildcat

University of Arizona Police Department officers evacuated students from Coronado Residence Hall after a small printer fire set off the fire alarm. The Tucson Fire Department identified the cause of the fire as an overloaded outlet in one of the rooms.

An overload of electrical applications led to a small fire in a residence hall on Thursday night.

Coronado residents were evacuated at around 11:30 p.m. on Thursday after a small fire on the ninth floor of the residence hall set off the smoke detectors, said Fil Barrera, public information officer for the University of Arizona Police Department. UAPD officers and the Tucson Fire Department reported to Coronado and identified the room where the smoke was coming from.

Officers found smoke and small flames coming from a melting printer. TPD determined the outlet the printer was plugged into was overloaded, with about five other electric devices sharing the power strip.

“What happens is if you overload it you have too much electricity going on there. It’s hot,” Barrera said. “It just keeps getting hotter and hotter and those appliances like the refrigerators keep drawing electricity. It’s just not going to stop.”

The residents of the room with the burning printer were not home at the time, Barrera said. There were no injuries, but some damage to the printer and the room, as the officers had to extinguish the fire.

Barrera said students should be mindful of the limits electric devices have and follow Residence Life guidelines when dealing with electricity in their room.

“[Power strips are] only meant for so much electricity,” Barrera said. “You can’t always assume it’s going to be OK.”

More to Discover
Activate Search