Mailbag: Jan. 26

Presidents support Gov. Brewer

While we are very appreciative of the sentiment expressed in your editorial regarding the delayed December payment from the state to the UA (and particularly the frustration which we share with the legislature’s inexplicable inaction), we must respectfully disagree with your assertion that Gov. Brewer places a low priority on funding to our universities.

Brewer has, in fact, been a strong supporter of the UA and the entire Arizona university system, and, in the face of historic state deficits, Brewer worked diligently to protect the state’s universities. Her advocacy of the temporary sales tax increase, in the face of opposition from some in her own party, is but one notable example.

Also, we are happy to report that with the successful sale of certain state real estate assets, the state’s cash flow problem has been addressed (at least for the near-term), and thus the December payment was able to be forwarded. We are appreciative of the prompt effort to address the delayed payment.

We are personally grateful for the Wildcat’s strong advocacy of state budgetary support to the UA, but the record needs to be set straight on Gov. Brewer – she has been our advocate in a very difficult time, and we are deeply appreciative of her support.

Ernest Calderón

President, Arizona Board of Regents

Robert N. Shelton

President University of Arizona

Arizona legislators acting irresponsibly

By reading Taylor Avey’s “”Firearms possible for UA teachers,”” it becomes apparent that certain legislators at the capitol are not concerned with the important issues at hand. In a time when we have a budget crisis in Arizona and cuts to education are at an all-time record high, Representative Jack Harper seems to be more concerned with unnecessary legislation. Similar legislation has been proposed before, and it continues to fail, as it should. The only guns on campus should be those which belong to police officers. The logic, or lack thereof, that more guns equals more safety is absolutely ridiculous. When the professors themselves oppose carrying guns on campus, we have to wonder why exactly we have representatives that insist on pushing legislation we don’t want. Meanwhile, they are ignoring what we do want. There are more pressing issues to worry about, especially education. Making our police force’s job harder will solve nothing. As students, we have a responsibility to make our needs heard by the legislature. I urge my fellow students to immediately contact their state representative and senators to let them know we need a budget and funding for education. What we do not need is irresponsible law making.

Brittni Storrs

Political Science Senior