UA events to help you survive finals

File Photo

Stephanie Ho, Mike Vicidomini, Jason Kiesel, Rachel Heob and Lyndsey Edmonds play with Marlie, an adopted dog, on the UA Mall on Dec. 8, 2013. Activities like this are designed to help students alleviate end-of-the-semester stress.

There comes a time of year where the nights feel longer, the homework gets harder and the feeling of being stressed out gets deeper. Finals and the weeks leading up to them can make people feel drained and feel like they are surviving college and not thriving in it. 

The University of Arizona has planned multiple events around campus to help students succeed in the end of the semester.

When students are studying for a long period of time it may get exhausting and frustrating. 

“Try to get enough sleep [and] avoid unhealthy stress reduction things like drinking too much alcohol or over eating,” said Lee Ann Hamilton, the assistant director of health promotion-preventive services. “The best things to do are the things you do all the time which is get adequate sleep, eat a healthy variety of food and I don’t recommend all-nighters.”

UA has activities all across the board to help students continue study, fuel your brain, relax your brain and body and give you a fun time during these demanding hours.

“The Libraries have been inviting therapy dogs to our events since the fall of 2012,” said Michelle Monroe-Menjugas, the library operations supervisor. “UA Libraries hopes that Study Break events and other assistance we can provide at our Ask Us desks help students de-stress and do well on their final exams.” 

Below, are just a few events that will be taking place this week. 

Events happening at the Main Library:

Dec. 11 from 9-11 a.m.: GIS drop-in help — Students can get help with software and techniques or geospatial data by stopping by the iSpace.

Dec. 12 from 9-11 a.m.: Research data drop in — Research Data Management Specialist, Fernando Rios is hosting one-on-one consultations on research data management and helping with spreadsheets, research practices, strategy for labs and so much more. This will take place at the iSpace.

Dec. 12 from 5-7 p.m.: Dogs & donuts — Students can stop by the Main Library and hang with therapy dogs, grab a few snacks and play some board games. 

Dec. 15 from 3-5 p.m.: Paws for a study break — The Main Library will be hosting therapy dogs from Pet Partners of Southern Arizona and snacks.

Events at other UA libraries:

Dec. 13 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.: Coffee break — The Fine Arts Library will be giving out free coffee throughout the day. The therapy dogs will also make an appearance.

Dec. 16 from 4-6 p.m.: Coffee break — Health and Science library will be hosting a coffee break.

Events hosted by Campus Health:

Monday-Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.: Brain fuel — There will be free apples, oranges and granola bars starting Dec. 9. Students can go and pick up some food at any time during their hours.

Living Wild: If students are feeling stressed they can visit the online resource Living Wild to get tips on health and wellness of sleeping, nutrition and stress.

Event at the Student Union Memorial Center:

Dec. 12 from 6-9 p.m.: Final Bear Down — The student union is here to help students have fun and “chill” in their winter wonderland. This event in the Grand Ballroom will include pancakes and other food, music, coloring, a Photo Booth and a resource fair. 

Events at Think Tank:

Think Tank provides tutoring for students in the subjects of writing, math, business and languages. They are located at Beardown Gym and accept drop-ins or by appointment for longer tutoring time. Below are the times they are open.

Monday-Thursday 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.

Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Sunday 5-9 p.m.

Follow Ciara Jean on Twitter