“He said, she said”

President Robert Shelton was inaugurated yesterday, and students are expecting big things from him. We asked around campus to see what issues students want Shelton to address. Here’s a sampling:

A big problem is the rise in the “”little”” fees around campus. For example, I was very unhappy when ZonaZoo had a fee increase. I understand that tuition goes up, but all the little fees are killing me. If he fixes that, I’ll be happy.””

Michael Willhite
    sociology senior

I’m a freshman, so I haven’t really had any problems yet.

Jesus Montijo
    criminal justice freshman

I want him to fix parking, more than anything. It is just ridiculous. Even if you get to a Zone I lot by 9:30, there’s not spots left. Even if you carpool it’s not convenient, and if you want to reserve a spot in the garage, it’s $500.

Kim Denmen
    business sophmore

If he could do something about tuition, it would be good. It would be nice if it didn’t get higher – and possibly lowering it would be better. Tuition is a big thing.

Margot Thomas
    aerospace engineering sophmore

As graduate students, one of our main concerns is insurance – especially dental insurance and insurance for dependants. We are here for five years, so we need access to dental insurance during that time. This issue has been raised at graduate council meetings. Compared to other universities, our health insurance and childcare for grad students just suck. Not only are we struggling financially because we don’t get paid very much, but we don’t get basic needs like health insurance.

Anastassia Gorbunova
    physchology graduate student