Three players compete in New Mexico

Improvement remains the theme for the Arizona women’s tennis as they send three players to compete in the Southwest Collegiate Invite in Albuquerque, N.M., this weekend.

“”With the fall season, the key word is improvement,”” said assistant coach Ryan Stotland.  “”We’re looking to build upon what we’ve done so far so that come January we’ll be ready.””

In competition for the Wildcats this weekend will be senior Ariane Masschelein, sophomore Sarah Landsman and freshman Elizabeth Hammond.

“”Every tournament we want to get better,”” Masschelein said. “”We work hard during the week in practice and try to use what we learn in matches to get ready for the spring because that’s what matters.””

Hammond, who made her Arizona debut at the last tournament, added that the weekend provides her with an opportunity to prove herself against talented competition. She also noted the importance of trying to not do too much, as coaches stress improving over winning during the fall.

“”For me, it’s about keeping a positive attitude and just doing what I can without having too high of expectations,”” Hammond said. 

The tournament begins at 9 a.m. today and will conclude on Sunday.

“”We were excited to be able to add this tournament to our fall schedule,”” said head coach Vicky Maes. “”We feel that we need more match-play in preparation for our spring season, and this gives us that opportunity.””