ASUA Notebook

ASUA senators weighed providing student veterans with free basketball tickets at Wednesday’s weekly meeting.

Sen. Taylor Ashton proposed allocating $1,606 to student veterans for season basketball tickets. The tickets would be given to student veterans who are exceeding expectations in school or community service as an incentive to strive to be better in academics or around the community.

Similar to last year, four season tickets would to be given to student veterans, but other senators wanted to look for a cheaper alternative, such as donations. The motion to allocate the funds was tabled until next week’s meeting.

Executive Vice President Krystina Nguyen said the student veterans will be moving into the Computational and Informative Systems Laboratory in the Student Union Memorial Center and that ASUA should consider throwing them a housewarming party to show its support.

Senator reports
Ashton reported that he had devised a survey for students regarding a syllabus preview on UAccess, which would allow students to see the syllabus in the course description of classes to get an idea of the work the class will require. The survey should be on the ASUA website by the end of the week.

According to Ashton, other universities have already implemented a syllabus preview. He hopes to see this happen for the UA by next spring or next fall.

Sen. Brian Seastone announced that on Saturday from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m., the first 300 people at the Student Recreation Center will receive a free flu shot.

ASUA Presidential Report
ASUA announced that it had more than 2,000 students register to vote at its Rad, White and Blue Block Party last week.

President Katy Murray said that ASUA will be offering early voting at its offices Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. beginning Monday, Oct. 15 and continuing to Nov. 6.

Murray also said in her presidential report that ASUA will offer debate viewings at the Cellar Bistro on Oct. 16 and 22.

The university is looking for a new provost, which is an assistant to the Dean of Students. The university will host a meeting next Wedndesday to gather student input on hiring the new provost.

Election results
The votes for the ASUA senate special election were ratified at the meeting. Morgan Abraham received a total of 509 votes and 24.4 percent of the votes.

Jake Broido came in second place with 360 votes, followed by Devin Bembnister close in third with 350 votes.