ASUA notebook: Senators discuss future projects

The Associated Students of the University of Arizona, UA’s undergraduate student governing body met for their first fall semester meeting Wednesday, Sept. 2. 

The Associated Students of the University of Arizona, the university’s undergraduate student governing body, met on Wednesday, Sept. 30, via Zoom to discuss their goals as the new senate class.

RELATED: UA student petitions to make Election Day a campus holiday

Goal of Diversity and Inclusion For This Year

With the new academic year in full swing, ASUA Executive Vice President Noah Vega called for the senate to rally around the common goal of diversity and inclusion looking towards the rest of the year. 

“What I want the direction for ASUA senate class to be striving for, the discussion of diversity and inclusion in our individual colleges … I think this is something we definitely need to start focusing on as a class,” Vega said in the meeting. 

The ASUA senate continued discussion on ideas they had for this moving forward, including reaching out to each of their individual colleges and the diversity and inclusion committees within them to learn what has already been implemented and what still needs to be done. 

The idea of a required diversity course was one suggestion that was presented. Senator Anisa Hermosillo for the College of Architecture, Planning and Landscape Architecture spoke highly of the college’s recent roundtable talks they have been engaging in with their diversity and inclusion committee. She suggested this was something that could be implemented across all the colleges and even the university eventually. 

The senators were encouraged to reach out to their specific colleges and learn more about how to move forward with diversity courses and the initiatives involving this within their colleges, so that the senate class can move forward with their goal of diversity and inclusion among students. 

Follow Maggie Rockwell on Twitter